1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can an OTA signal be combined into a SWM setup?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by ejjames, Jul 19, 2010.

1. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    My father has a 4:3 36" HDTV in his family room. They also have a tivo HR10-250. They are interested in upgrading both tv and receiver. he has a HR20-100 in his theater.

The problem is he only has one coax to the family room, and he needs ota, as locals from directv are from 100 miles away and fox is not offered. i have him set up with a combiner after the multi switch, it then is split at the receiver. they only use one tuner. I think the answer is no, but can the antenna be combined into SWiM, or does he need a second line?

thanks

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yes, you can diplex OTA with DirecTV in a SWiM setup. However, if he decides to use DECA at any point for MRV, you will not be able to anymore.

- Merg

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Keep in mind that this would be 100% DIY upgrade. Diplexing is not approved or supported by DirecTv in any way, shape or form.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Is that any diplexing whatsoever or just OTA? When I had DirecTV installed in my current house, the installer diplexed DirecTV onto my current cable runs to save himself from running new cable.

- Merg

5. chefwong

chefwong Legend

Jan 25, 2008
    I've had sucess with AM21/HR21 , SWIM8 (not using diplext on that)...perfect vision diplexers on both ends and it worked just fine.

However, it stopped working when I swapped to a LNB 5SWM

6. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Diplexing is not approved...period. Auto QC fail for non-approved parts. Potential chargeback.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Will be interesting to see what the tech says when I move up to DECA/SWiM and my house gets re-wired for that.

- Merg

8. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    If my dad wants to simply swap a 10-250 for a new box (knowing he will still have one tuner) no wiring would need to be changed, correct?

If he calls, will they schedule a service call, or can they just ship the box?