1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can D* and E* use the same roof mount?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by johnzim63, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnzim63

johnzim63 AllStar

Oct 8, 2005
    I'm thinking of switching to E* to get their silly-sweet deal for new subscribers. My question: Could the installer use the existing D* roof mount for the new dish antenna? In other words, I don't want any more holes than necessary in my roof. Thanks!

2. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    In a word yes. The dual LNB D* 18 in. dish and the E* 20 in. Dish 500 use the same size pole and footplate.

3. johnzim63

johnzim63 AllStar

Oct 8, 2005
    Thanks for the info, Kingloop! I should have mentioned that I have the newer triple LNB antenna. Would an E* antenna still fit? Thanks again. :)

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I don't see why not. My old 18" DTV dish uses the same dia pole as the Phase III dish.

5. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    For a Dish 500, yes. For a SuperDish, no. Do you know if you need a SuperDish?

6. sat101

sat101 Mentor

Oct 5, 2005
    Amherst NY uses Dish 500 and 2nd 18" dish for PBS and UPN. The one mount is fine but they will have to mount 2nd dish .

7. johnzim63

johnzim63 AllStar

Oct 8, 2005
    Ouch! Thanks for that bit of critical info. I'm pretty sure I don't want a second UAA (ugly-ass antenna) on my roof. Kinda blows the whole idea for me. :( Looks like I'm stuck with Directv for now.

8. sat101

sat101 Mentor

Oct 5, 2005
    If you don't want those two channels then you don't need the 2nd dish. Are you happy with DTV ? Just remember sweet deals change after a few months then you will be stuck with Dish for a year, if you like DTV then stick with them and enjoy.

9. johnzim63

johnzim63 AllStar

Oct 8, 2005
    Those 2 channels would be nice, but not deal-breakers. But to speak to the broader issue: How can a tv-subscriber--at the end of a contract--ignore the deals that are out there? Both Adelphia cable and DishNetwork are offering me very attractive incentives. Sure I like Directv; but do I like it enough to ignore an opportunity to get all new hardware, just for switching? (Not to mention the huge 3-month discount on programming.) I think NOT. If D* would even attempt to match their competitors, I would listen very closely. But NOT. I've solicited them to make me an offer to stay, and they lamely point to their $100-DVR and $200-HD/DVR rebates, which of course involve a 2-year committment. Uh, not even close, Fellas. :rolleyes:

10. sat101

sat101 Mentor

Oct 5, 2005
    Make sure you check what channels dish offers. Do you watch YES Network or The NFL Ticket, both only on DTV. How long have you been DTV subcriber ?

11. johnzim63

johnzim63 AllStar

Oct 8, 2005
    Been with DTV for 12 months. I don't have YES or NFL Ticket. But you guys are right about E*. I did some more hardware research, and it seems that their equipment is as buggy as ever. A few years ago I switched from Adelphia, and the Dish equipment was very frustrating to use. Nearly constant glitches and crashes. So now I'm eating crow. <*Big Sigh*> Staying with DTV. But at least when I called them to whine about my contract ending, they threw in 6 months of nearly-free HBO. Yippee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.