1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can dish lock out receivers pointing at western/eastern arc?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by drfrink24, Jun 18, 2010.

1. drfrink24

drfrink24 Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007
    When I tried to order new equipment, Dish wanted a $95 install charge to switch me from western to eastern arc. If I can somehow get them to agree to just send the hardware, but not physically switch to eastern arc, can they lock out my new equipment from working with western arc?

I currently get locals fine w/western arc.

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    DISH can activate or deactivate any receiver by sending a signal over the satellite. I doubt that they care which arc you receive a signal from. I think you need to get some clarification from DISH on the $95 charge it sounds like that is for a truck roll to replace your dish with a 1000.4 dish.:)

3. drfrink24

drfrink24 Cool Member

Jul 11, 2007

Yeah, I wonder then, can I flat out refuse their install?

4. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    The equipment is different most notably the spacing of the LNBs on the 1000.2 and 1000.4 also the eastern arc is all MPEG4 a 311 unit won't work at all.

They do keep note of the arc you are assigned to but with the correct equipment I'm pretty sure you could tune into the other arc.

I personally like the feeds off the eastern arc.

5. Oldcoot

Oldcoot AllStar

Dec 17, 2004
    I was using a dish 500 on 110 and 119 with a dish 300 on 61.5.
    I could not get 129 due to a tree line.
    I bought the dish 1000.4 for $68.00 online and installed it myslelf.
    Works great with signal on all 3 sats between 55 and 70.
    If they keep note on which arc you are on it would have to be information sent to them by the receiver phone line.
    I did not tell them that I was changing to the eastern arc.

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    They do not care from which satellite you are receiving your service.

Their main concern about EA is that someone with SD receivers will put up a D1000.4 then raise holy hell about their MPEG2 receivers not working anymore.

7. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    During the initial install or change order the orbital locations stated in the contract/paper work are saved into E*s computer under your account number.

I have had line of site issues that forced me and tech support to manually change the orbital slot information,I don't know if a phone/Ethernet connection would automatically update the orbital slot information.

I've messed around with wing dishes enough to know if the equipment gets the correct signals things seem to work OK.

8. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Nope, it's done manually.

9. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    About a decade ago, back when DISH was trying to force some customers to get RIA from one satellite rather than from another, a receiver I was installing was not able to get it from the satellite we wanted to get it from. As I recall, the trick they used was, they assigned different guide numbers to that program for the two different satellites that carried it, and they would not authorize this receiverfor a new customer to get it from the one that they were trying to disfavor, whereas another, established customer of mine continued to get it from that other satellite.

That created a problem for this installation, because this customer only wanted that one channel but did not have line-of-sight to the satellite that DISH wanted them pointed at.