1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can DTV Sue Charter Cable For This?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by shendley, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    Just got a pitch from Charter Cable in the mail today and opened it up out of curiosity to see how they were pitching themselves. On the back of the sheet of paper they had a list of things you get with Charter that you don't get with "Satellite." They listed their VOD stuff and "crystal clear quality regardless of weather" (yeah, until the wind blows a cable down somewhere in your vicinity and you have to wait a week or more to get it fixed!). But right at the top was "More HD programming options available at any given time." Maybe there's some loophole they're using with the phrase "at any given time" that I can't figure out, but I can't personally see any way to interpret it that doesn't make it a manifestly false claim now. I was really surprised to see it.

2. GeorgeLV

GeorgeLV Godfather

Jan 1, 2006
    I've Cox ads here claiming that DirecTV charges extra for local channels and $20/month for HD.

3. old7

old7 Godfather

Dec 1, 2005
    I do believe the "any given time" clause is meant to include VOD, which would give them an out.

Every provider will word his ad so that he appears better than the competition. It has always been this way and will continue to be that way.

4. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I just don't see how they think they can get away with stuff like that. I mean DTV gets sued because of a claim that their HD PQ is superior to Cable's (and it was in my favorite ad they ever made - the one with William Shatner playing Kirk on the Enterprise) - an arguably subjective claim that could be indefinitely disputed. And here cable companies are making manifestly false objective claims. Geez.

5. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    Good point. I hadn't thought of that. Does Cable have quite a bit of HD content available through VOD?

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    If you could scan the ad, and attach it....

As often in tiny print, there will be "as of this date" type phrases.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Either way, I doubt it would be worth it for DIRECTV to sue the local franchise. They might go for Charter corporate but it would just stir up more of a mess than it is worth.

The truth about cable is all too easy to tell. It's just surprising that people don't know that there's a difference.

8. Trump_01

Trump_01 AllStar

May 25, 2007
    I still like the suit that TWC tried to file against D* because of the "Back to the Future" ad, but dtv had included the word Soon D* will have more, and that got them out of the suit however TWC wasnt happy. :p

(atleast i believe it was TWC, it was one of those cable co's)

9. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I'd bring back the "Soon" adds with some small tweaks.

Say, "Earlier this year this is what we were planning and the cable companies had issues with it"
    Cue "Soon" ad.
    Say, this is what is currently available. Scroll every HD channel logo across the screen.
    Then say, "What is currently available with your cable provider? Exactly"

Salt meet wound. Wound meet salt. :grin:

10. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Once again there is no such thing as "Charter Cable“, it’s "Charter Communications ” Funny they don't call themselves a cable company?

11. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I don't have access to a scanner right now (though if people are seriously interested in seeing it, I could probably get it scanned in a day or so) but I checked the "fine print" and nothing in it qualifies the claim about "more HD programming options available at any given time." The fine print contains qualifications and restrictions on the offer they're pitching (tv, internet, and phone for $70 for 12 months), the speed of the internet they provide and the like. But I re-read the front of the page and I think the VOD theory relating to "at any given time" is probably right. This is how the first paragraph reads: "When it comes to Cable TV, satellite providers are giving you a distorted picture. The truth is, with Charter you can get the HD channels you really want and tons of great shows whenever you want with Charter OnDemand." But as someone who has never had Cable On Demand, I really don't know what kind of HD content they provide on demand. Is it enough, do you think, to justify saying that there are "more HD programming options available at any given time" than the 70 or so channels DTV now offers? If you factor in all of the SD content that the new DTV HD channels are broadcasting, I guess the claim could be true in that context - still, it's pretty misleading . . . if you ask me, at any rate.

12. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    The proper answer is, Yes. Anyone can sue anyone else in the United States. Whether the suit is successful is another story.

13. pharmer53

pharmer53 Mentor

Jul 13, 2007
    Check out what CableOne states about satellite HDTV programming.

Link:
    http://www.cableone.net/digitalcable/HDTVfaq.asp

At the very bottom of the FAQ page.

Q: Can I get more HDTV programming from a satellite?
    A: Cable One plans to offer the HDTV signal of local broadcasters. Satellite providers can't do that because of technical restrictions. So you will have access to much more varied HDTV programming on Cable ONE Digital.

Gotta love it.

14. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
    Directv sued Cox yesterday over their HD claims.

Having D10, MPEG4 and sufficient bandwidth will certainly help the lawsuit:D

15. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You need a proper zip code to get into the site.

16. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    DTV can sue anyone for anything. Do you mean "will they win?" God only knows. Seems like a waste of time.

17. MalibuRacing

MalibuRacing Legend

Mar 2, 2007
    I just posted in another thread that I received a flyer in the mail from Charter. They were bragging about adding more HD content. They now offer a whopping 14 channels in HD, 4 of which are premium channels. :rolleyes:

Does Charter have better HD content in other areas?

18. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    You know, they could have had a simple out on this one: By mentioning the subchannels. Instead, it's vague and untrue in many markets. CableONE serves the area of Mississippi I'm in right now and their HD "tier" is about 10 channels, including just one local. (!) Seems to me if they could snag Memphis and Columbus, MS locals from out of the market, they could bring in those digital signals as well, which would give them an advantage over either sat provider, who don't currently offer this backwater market. :rolleyes:

19. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Not in O'Fallon, MO. Same as what you have...and I got a letter yesterday too from them.

20. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Funny you mention the phone thing. I keep getting adverts from Charter to switch and get their phone service too. Only problem, their phone service is not available in my area, and no plans to do so (our local phone company is one of the only government owned phone companies left in the country, and since they have the power of the local government, they are able to prevent all kinds of comeptition. Until very recently, they were the only cell service available here.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.