1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can H10 receivers be re-activated?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by slice1900, Apr 10, 2013.

1. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I've got about a dozen old receivers in storage that I never tossed because I wanted to find someone who'd recycle them. Now that Directv has a recycling program I've been going through what I have to see what I should toss and what I might want to keep around.

I have a couple old H10 receivers, and I was thinking about using one to connect to a old SD TV in the office. The H10 would be preferable in this role since it has an OTA tuner which the D1x receivers do not, so it would receive the same programming as everything else, just in SD. No reason to pay for a new receiver when I already have something that will work better.

I hooked one up to see if it still works and it says the authorization has expired. I know I've re-authorized H20s that have sat in storage for a while but since the H10 is officially obsolete, I wonder if they'd be willing to re-authorize it? Anyone know?

I left it plugged in to a legacy port on the SWM-16 over the weekend to see if it would get new firmware and it didn't - I guess they never send out H10 firmware any more so it is stuck with whatever it has?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I don't see a particular reason why not, since it has an RID and is not an MPG box. I don't think the software is dependent on being active though. Do you have a phone line plugged into it? That is required to be able to get the update.

This might get moved to the SD forum, since the H10 is now SD.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    IIRC as long as the H10 was previously active on your account, it can be activated.

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    dpeters11 - I've got a commercial account so none of the ~30 receivers I've owned over the years or the 22 I've got live right now has ever been plugged into a phone line. Are you saying if I do that it would be able to get updated? I don't even know how that works, does it have the phone number it needs to call built into the firmware or do I need to look it up somewhere and enter it in a setup screen? It may not make a difference for functionality or bugs, but I figure if I want to use them I should update to whatever the last software rev is, even if it is several years old. I'm not certain but I think I replaced them with H20s in fall of 2006 and the H10s have sat around since then, so I'm sure they are pretty out of date.

peds48 - I guess that makes sense, maybe I'll call to activate one even though I won't be using it just to see if they give me any problems, but I bought them back in 2005, so originally owned by me. I actually had 4 but when I checked them out one had a busted OTA tuner and one claimed it had an invalid access card rather than "expired" like the two working ones. The other two worked fine, and even worked to view programs on the OTA tuner despite not being activated. I guess H10s would have value for some people as an ATSC tuner since they'll do that without activation and provide HDMI output.

5. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    I'm also curious about that.
    In eighteen years I have never had a receiver plugged into a phone.
    I have two de-activated H10's sitting around.
    Back in the day of Ku HD (when I was with Pegasus), the ~10 HD (channels in the 70-79, 90-99) on the H10 were great, especially since I had HD DNS, when I had no network HD options (no LIL and OTA was SD).
    After Ka HD, Ku HD was still active for a year or two, and the H10's went from the primary receivers to secondary PIP receivers on sets with HR20's.
    The H10's updated regularly during that time, but after Ku HD was eliminated, the H10's would not update, self or forced.
    Since there was no HD, the H10's served no purpose, so they were deactivated.
    I never considered plugging them into a phone to update them.

dpeters11: Are you saying that they will?
    Have you actually done this?

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's been a long time since I've had a DirecTIVO, but my recollection was that the phone line connection was required for part of the update process. Someone like PSmith or VOS may know better, but I'm thinking the actual update came over sat, but requires a phone line connection to actually activate it. It was definitely goofy.

The phone number is built in, like it is for the modern DirecTV boxes.

7. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    The H10 doesn't need a phone line for any sort of updates.
    You're thinking of the HR10, which is the HD DirecTiVo.

You shouldn't have any issues getting it reactivated.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    ^^^^^^^Right on! ^^^^^^

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Ack...Unfortunately that's not the first time I mentally inserted an R...