1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can History be cleared

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Jerry_K, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    I would like to clear the history on the Genie. Any way to do it without clearing all the series links and recorded shows?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Not that I know of, but why clear it?

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Destroy the evidence?

1 person likes this.
  4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    That is what I was thinking lol. I thought I saw a way to delete it awhile back. I know it wasn't a Genie I was looking at though and its been awhile so I could be mistaken. Not really sure why someone would want to delete the history.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Ours is not to question why....

Only way I can think of is add an external drive, but then you cover up not just History, but Recordings and Series Links...

Or just record and delete so much stuff that it gets buried under masses of pages of other stuff.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The only way to get rid of the history is to do a reset everything, which erases all recordings, resets all series links, and starts you fresh. Otherwise, you just have to let the entry in the history scroll down until it drops off the bottom of the list (which takes time of course).

7. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Things drop Off usually after 1000 entires or 60 days I think.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    taking the drive out, using Linux [Ubuntu] and erasing some files would do that trick

if you can... if you would ...

9. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Just record and delete a bunch of shows. The list has a finite number of entries and when it exceeds them it replaces the oldest entries.

10. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    There is no way to clear the History.

Some of the suggestions already given may help though.

Mike

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    You should never suggest things like this to a user.

12. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    That is true for most folks. I have had the pleasure of the Linux command line along with other arcane bits of this and that with TiVo drives. Unfortunately now have no way to hook up a drive to a computer. Traveling full time has some limitations.

13. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    That's true for everyone except the developers. You could know enough to really hose yourself.

14. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    Worst case you reformat the drive and let the DirecTV box load the software again. Just like putting in any new drive. No worse off than the total resets with removal of all things.

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, that's a far cry from your OP!

16. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Your initial post said you didn't want to reformat. Which is it?