1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can HR20 & HR10(HD Tivo) be simultaneously active on the same account

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kathymoore, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kathymoore

kathymoore Legend

Mar 3, 2006
    I currently have three HR10-250 HD Tivos. (all three have been changed
    to "OWNED" status by a DirecTV supervisor, so I don't have to give them
    up)

DirecTV is installing three new HR20s in my home next week.

Will I be able to continue using and receving HD programs with the old HR10s?
    (either MPEG2 HD or SD channels)

Thanks! :)

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    You will be able to continue to use the HD TiVo's and receive the HD channels you have now.

But at some point next year you will lose the HD channels you have when they are moved over to MPEG4.

Then you will only be able to receive SD channels with them.

3. Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    True, but you will also get to Tivo all of your OTA HD channels. That alone is worth $5/mo (IMO).

4. kathymoore

kathymoore Legend

Mar 3, 2006
    That's a good point... but makes me wonder...

when my HR20s are activated next week, won't I have to go to a different
    HD package(which will not include HDNet)? If that's the case, will my HR10
    continue to receive HDNet? (or do I have to pay the extra $5 for HDNet,
    which I'm already getting on the HR10?)

Thanks! :)

5. Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    That $5 HD Extra fee will apply to all, once it takes affect. I think it's supposed to be the end of December.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    15th of December was the last date I saw mentioned here.

7. MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    Just curious - I don't have an HR10. But, for those that do still own HR10's, when December 15th rolls around and they choose not to pay an additional $5 a month for the HD Extra Pak, that means they will only be getting their HD locals (if D* carries them), Discovery HD Theater, TNT HD, ESPN HD and ESPN2HD? They will lose Universal HD, HDNET and HDNET Movies?

If that's the case, don't know what more incentive there can be for them to upgrade to an HR2x.

8. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Godfather

Dec 18, 2005
    You can do that with the HR20 as well

9. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I think at TCF I read that HR10's would be grandfathered and not charged extra.

10. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    But DirecTV has stopped installing HR20s unless you buy some of the last ones at a B&M store. Now everybody is getting an HR21 without the OTA input. The HR10-250s will still be good for the OTA recording.
    I have both an HR20 and an HR10 hooked up to my HDTV. I did that because I got the the HR20 in September 2006 before they had enabled the OTA on the HR20. I left it that way because occasionally I want to record 3 shows from the OTA (Say CBS, PBS & CW) while watching something else.

11. ned23

ned23 AllStar

Sep 18, 2007
    He won't be able to record OTA with the HR21 he will probably get.:nono2:

12. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Not strictly true. It depends on location and what the installer has.

They are not stopping production on the HR20-100, only the HR20-700.

13. ned23

ned23 AllStar

Sep 18, 2007
    Can you tell us any locations the installers have HR20-100's?

14. TigerDriver

TigerDriver Electronics Engineer

Jul 27, 2007
    I placed an order with D* for a DVR about three weeks ago to replace an ailing SD DTivo. They set up an appointment for an install. I immediately called the installation company and told them that I wanted a new (not refurb) HR20, and that I was willing to wait for it. They called day-before-yesterday and said that they had a new new HR20 for me. Install is supposed to be on Monday.

During this waiting period, I got calls from D* asking why the installation hadn't been completed. I was frank with them, and they seemed OK with my strategy. Keep in mind that I am an existing customer and this DVR is a freeby--so D* would be happy if I never got it installed. However, were I a new customer, they probably wouldn't allow me to stiff-arm.

15. ned23

ned23 AllStar

Sep 18, 2007
    Congratulations! I am on my third appointment for an HR20 this Wed, the first 2 times they had the HR21. I was also told that if they didn't have have the HR20 that the order is canceled and I have to set up another appt with DirecTv, and then they couldn't guarantee the next time wouldn't be another HR21 and they couldn't just put me on hold for HR20.

16. MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    Well, shouldn't all of us who were subscribed to HD Access prior to the launching of the new MPEG4 HD channels be grandfathered in then?

17. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I've read quite a few posts from HR10 owners who are keeping their TiVos active in order to record OTA channels. It's not a bad idea for the moment.

18. Que

Que Icon

Apr 15, 2006
    WOW. Maybe try and call retention, see if they can help. You think that would get tried of wasting so much time coming out.

19. Que

Que Icon

Apr 15, 2006
    I'm going to keep mine as long as I can. I really only watch OTA HD. I have no other HD package and no movie package. Plus love my DLB and a pause point that works. :D

20. Incog-Neato

Incog-Neato Godfather

Apr 21, 2006
    If all you have is legacy equipment (HR10's, H10's) you should be able to keep what you have now. If you have any HR20's/H20's on your account you will lose HDNET, HDNET movies and UHD on your HR10's/R10's unless you pay the $5. You may have to call them to get them back because their SMS is so screwed up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.