1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I buy an owned receiver if the owner owes Money?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by beachlover, Jul 31, 2010.

1. beachlover

beachlover Mentor

Feb 27, 2010
    I've been offered an "owned" (confirmed with Directv) receiver.....but because they are upset with them, they still owe money. Can Directv not allow me to add it to my account because they owe?

2. FYRPLG

FYRPLG Legend

Nov 11, 2006
    The past due amount will probably need to be paid before they will activate.

You should call D* to confirm.

i purchased an HR2X , there was no amount owed so they activated it.
    Also they D* did not require me to use another card.

Good luck.

3. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    Personally I wouldn't touch or get involved with an account that owes.

If money is no object you can pay off the account and proceed normally.

4. beachlover

beachlover Mentor

Feb 27, 2010
    Thanks....but I'm hoping for a reply without the word "probably" in it.....
    No amount owed, so they activated it....thanks again for that obvious answer...

5. beachlover

beachlover Mentor

Feb 27, 2010
    Personal opinions are not helpful....actual knowledge would be.....

"If money is no object"... people in that club may contact me directly (ha,ha)....however useless info....

6. Taltizer

Taltizer Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    Ive had it done 2 times in the past with now problem.One was from my own brother and he owed a bill and i had no problem and it wasnt even owned it was leased this was less than 6 months ago.They told me the only problem would be is if he had ordered any PPV Movies that werent charged on it i may get charged for those.He hadnt ordered any and there was no problem.Im sure others will disagree with me but 2 times ive done it and no problems at all just call them like i did and make sure.

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Well, I think anyone that would want to help you probably won't now based on those two responses. Nevertheless, regardless of what's posted here, this is the best answer you'll get:

8. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    No,

The balance must be paid before that hardware can be transferred to a different owner.

9. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    There's your answer, but don't be alarmed if folks continue to give their personal opinion on the matter. That is, after all, what DBSTalk is all about.

10. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    Here is a reply without a probably, they will not activate that receiver on your account without that balance being paid first, I'm speaking from experience with a used HR20!

11. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    The answer is yes it has to be paid off first. I just called on an owned unit and the guy owed like $66 and D* told me that it had to be paid before it could be activated. Also dont forget that this requires a new access card as well. If you are lucky you might be able to get them to give you one for free at the time of order.

12. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Based on personal experience:

WALK AWAY

13. HerntDawg

HerntDawg Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    Oregon
    The answer is yes, you can buy it.

14. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...

are you speaking in terms of buying an owned unit that has a balance on it? just want to clarify because i bought an owned unit and had no trouble activating...plus dtv gave me the new access card for free.

15. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Sure... he can buy it... but he won't be able to activate it.

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Not typical so dont depend on these results. Any owned receiver that is from a customer or ex-customer with a balance due(probably that they don't plan on paying) is just a problem waiting to happen.

17. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Buying one that has a balance on it, i.e. tied to an account in collections, because the receivers themselves don't carry the balance. I have bought several owned receivers and had no problems, and I have bought some and had a big headache. If there is any issue whatsoever, it will be a headache because one person will tell you one thing and when you call again they will tell you something else. Unless they are ready to send you a card right then when you call about the RID, walk away.