1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i cancel directv and restart as a new customer?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mdgrier, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Mar 3, 2011 #1 of 57
    mdgrier

mdgrier New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    directv customer for 2+ years... contract fulfilled, always autopay bill. thinking i'd like to cancel directv and go with hulu plus + Netflix + OTA for locals... this will work for me no problem, saves me $70 per month.... i think this will work, until football season starts.

can i cancel now... then come back as a new customer in a few months (with new customer benefits)? would rather not just suspend, since getting new equipment + promo pricing would be more enticing of course.

2. Mar 3, 2011 #2 of 57
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm not sure how long it takes to be considered a new customer but I think it's longer than a few months. You're probably better off suspending.

And... :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

3. Mar 3, 2011 #3 of 57
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    On comming back in the fall as the "new" customer won't work as it would be too soon. You can be a New customer at the same address only if

1. you use your Wife's name or roommates

If it were me I would down grade to one receiver (if you have more than one) smallest channel package and suspend the account.

4. Mar 3, 2011 #4 of 57
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    You can try that, but it will more likely blow up in your face...suspend is probably the smarter way to go.

5. Mar 3, 2011 #5 of 57
    Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    2 years guys

no suspend or service for 2 years then you can be a new customer, unless you owe money. I ran into someone that couldnt be setup as a new customer because they owed $6!!! WTF! REally? Direct just doesnt let it go do they LOL

Roomate would be best option, absolutley not considered a flip, esp if they are not in your family.

6. Mar 3, 2011 #6 of 57
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I was away for about eight years and DirecTV still didn't consider me a new customer. However, after some discussions with a helpful CSR I managed to get the new user price advertised in the newspaper back then.

7. Mar 3, 2011 #7 of 57
    Sackett

Sackett Legend

May 21, 2007
    I got Directv in October of 2008 and I had never had Directv Satellite before in my life, however when the installer came out and installed everything and then called to get my programming going for the new customer rate, they told him I was an existing customer. What it turned out to be was back in 2000-2001 I was with a DSL company called Telocity and Directv DSL bought them out so I was switched to them. They considered I had been existing customer..... Took several hours on the phone to finally have them agree that this should not count....

8. Mar 3, 2011 #8 of 57
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Where DO you get your information? "Absolutely"?? Maybe in your eyes, maybe it gets through the system, but.....

And money owed is money owed, but it $2 bucks or 2 thousand.

Did you at one point say you are or were an employee?

9. Mar 3, 2011 #9 of 57
    gitarzan

gitarzan Godfather

Dec 31, 2005
    I canceled last summer not happy with the audio drop outs on my Onkyo and no solution in sight. About2-3 weeks later I got an offer to return that was nearly as good as a new customer offer. I had no intention of returning and when I did it was much an impluse decision. I felt upgrading my hardware (to HR24) would somehow offset my disappointment with the audio problem. My mistake, it didn't. Someone sent me an email referral. I clicked on the link and signed back up. I don't think I should have been able to do that but I did. A seemingly great deal but with all of the many problems I have had it hasn't been worth it.

10. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    You are only a new customer once. When you go to a new store your are a new customer. If you come back in a few weeks or a year later you are not a new customer.

11. gitarzan

gitarzan Godfather

Dec 31, 2005
    Maybe, I have signed up for the DirecTV new customer offer 4 times (maybe 5) since 1992.

My dermatologist said I was a new customer when I didn't go back for two years. I was charged a new customer fee instead of a follow up visit.

12. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    You're not a new customer in a few months, but if you are a good customer, they will almost immediately solicit you to come back. And that offer is very similar to what a new customer gets. If you were late with payments and constantly asking for credits, as was mentioned, it may be safer to suspend. That way you won't have all the upfront fees for hardware, if you restart service.

13. jceman

jceman Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    North of...
    That's what happened with me last year. I foolishly went back to cable after a lot of the problems I had had were addressed and fixed. They were, but there were so many other things I didn't like, low capacity DVR, inane SD/HD channel mapping, no NFL network, etc. that I came back.

DirecTV offered and I accepted a "Welcome Back" package that was the same rate as the then current new user package; so I got my dish changed over from 5 LNB to SWM-3, got new HR24/H24 combo with MRV and IKC all at no cost simply by accepting their offer - which I received at least once every 3 weeks for the 6 months I was gone.

14. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Yes, that is right, a completly different person can get his/her own service and is a new customer, not im MY eyes, in EVERYONES eyes, maybe yours are hazy or something. There is no "getting through the system" a person can get a new directv account anytime they want if they have never had it before.

And no i am not an employee, i work for myself.

Completly rediculous that directv holds an account for $6 for 8 years later. Let it go man, let it go......

Where do you get YOUR information??????????

15. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Ya thats completly wrong. I know people that switch direct to dish every 2 years. They are always new customers and get new customer incentives at that time. Some of these guys have been switching back and forth for over 10 years now.

Infact the guy who owed $6 was a new customer and i setup the new account for him, he had direct 3 yeras prior, he called in to make his payment then asked the csr if it was instantly submitted so his new direct account could be setup, the csr said ya you are all set for a new account. Sure enough, 2 minutes later my office sent me an account number.

16. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    I always thought you were a 'new' customer only once as well. but after reading this thread, I guess not. I wasn't the greatest Directv customer, allthough my payments went thru my CC. When the CC expired, I racked up some debt w/ them and they shut me off. When I finally 'paid-up', I cancelled since they wouldnt let me have my DNS channels anymore, Yet they continue to send me the "Please come back" offers in the mail every 3 weeks. But the Costco offer (w/ Coscto giftcard) combined w/ a friend referral hasta to be the best offer I've seen: Total choice for $21 for 10months, $10 more for 2 months more, then regular price. plus a $180 to spend at Costco.

17. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    Two years is the rule, or was the rule.

Name change alone won't do it. DTV keys to the address, not the name.

My son had DTV until he moved. I couldn't start my own subscription unless he moved his. I could continue the existing subscription, but I wanted to restart it through Verizon. He was on cable so we had to "move" him to another address and cancel the service before I could start my own subscription.

18. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Hey, how did you sign up for DirecTV as a new customer multiple times since 1992 when their service didn't actually start until '94? :D

19. gitarzan

gitarzan Godfather

Dec 31, 2005
    When I signed back up throuth the refferral website a few weeks later I used the same name address, ssn, etc,phone numer or email may have been different.

20. gitarzan

gitarzan Godfather

Dec 31, 2005