1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can I connect my HR24-500 to my wireless internet?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by carillon, Dec 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    I just got a very nice Christmas present... a D* install that included the slimline dish, SWM install, 1 HR24-500, 1 H24-700 and 4 D12-100s.

One thing I'd like to do is get my install connected to my wireless internet in my house. Are there any docs on what I need to order and how to install it? It would be a very difficult run to try and get an ethernet cable from my router to the HR24-500 so that's why I'm really hoping I can do this via a wireless solution.

Any tips, thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    A question...

1. Are you using MRV between your HR24 and H24 receivers?

If so, you will need a Broadband DECA and PI in order to connect your receivers to your home network/Internet. If you are using MRV and hook up an ethernet cable to the receivers, it will disable their internal DECA and MRV will not work.

If not, you can use a wireless ethernet adapter to connect your receivers to your home network/Internet. The Linksys WGA600N and WET610N are both natively supported by the DirecTV receivers. You can use other ones, but you will need to set them via a laptop/PC before hooking them up to the receiver.

- Merg

3. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    Yes, I am using MRV between the two HD receivers... so will a Broadband DECA and PI allow me to still use my wireless network? Where do I purchase this equipment?

Sorry for the basic questions but this is all new tome and have a lot to learn!

4. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    are any of those d12 boxes near your router? if so it could be tied into that coax.

5. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    The D12s are not close to my router. The H24-700 is the receiver nearest the router...

6. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    You could split a line with a green labeled splitter asnd run a coax from it to the router. That is what I did and it works fine.

7. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    If the H24 is in the same room as the router, the best solution is use a wired connection from the router. Check out post #5 in this link for a diagram. Just unhook the coax sat input on the H24, connect it to the input on a 2-way (green label) splitter, then connect one output to the H24 and the other output to the DECA module (which will need to be hardwired to the router). Then add a power inserter to the DECA module.

:)

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    And if you can't hardwire to your router, just grab a wireless ethernet adapter to connect to the DECA. You'll just need to configure it first from a PC/laptop with your wireless info before connecting it to the DECA. If you go for a wireless ethernet adapter, I would go for one that is Wireless-N if you have a Wireless-N router. Two common ones that people use are the Linksys WET610N and the WGA600N.

- Merg

9. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007

One small correction. The WET610N connects to the router to be configured unlike, say the older WGA54G that connected to the PC to configure.

I have the WET610N and used to have it connected to my HR20 (until I went supported MRV and now it is connected to my 360). Works beautifully but is a pain in the butt to configure because of having to connect it to the router.

10. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    how about if the room that has the router also has an H21-200 in it with only one coax feeding the room? How would I wire that with the DECA power inserter with DECA hooked to router and also feed the H21-200? I guess I would also need a DECA behind the H21-200 as well?

11. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    If your router supports Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS), all you need to do is press a button on the adapter and another on the router. I set up my WET610N in less than a minute that way.

12. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    If you have SWM, the following will work:

You would need 2 DECA modules, since the cat5 connection of first DECA would output to the H21, and the cat5 connection of the second DECA would have the hardwired router connection as input. You would just 2-way split (green label) the 1 coax feeding the room. Use one of the splitter coax outputs for the DECA connected to the router, and the other splitter coax output for the DECA feeding the H21. The coax output next to the cat5 connection on the router DECA would be connected to the power inserter.

:)

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You can configure either of these adapters from a PC. In this case, since the adapter is not being plugged directly into a receiver, it needs to be configured ahead of time.

- Merg

14. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    Thanks Merg... so with my existing installed equipment I will only need to purchase a WET610N, configure it and then connect it to my existing DECA?

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My 600N is sitting on a shelf. Useless POS. Anybody wanna buy it?

Rich

16. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    So in this setup if I wanted to be able to use VOD, Directv2Pc ect than I would hookup a Deca Broadband Connector kit to my router instead of a regular DECA and then a regular DECA behind my H21-200? I guess what is confusing me is alot of people are hooking up a regular DECA to their router as opposed the the Broadband DECA adapter, why would you need to hook anything to the router if you dont need to connect for VOD ect?

17. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The regular DECA and Broadband DECA are functionally equivalent. They are just a different form factor. Also, when Whole Home first came out, the Broadband DECA's weren't yet available, so many people used regular DECAs out of necessity.

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    By existing DECA, you are referring to the Broadband DECA with a PI, correct? You would not connect this to a DECA that is currently connected to a receiver. If that's the case, then yes, that's all you need to do.

- Merg

19. carillon

carillon Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    Well now I'm confused... I just checked behind my HR24-500 and only see a Power Inserter and no DECA. Is that possible since my Whole Home DVR is working by allowing me to watch content recorded by the HR24-500 on my H24-700 in the MBR.

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yes. The H24 and HR24 have DECA built-in so you should only have the coax going into them and no ethernet cable. The PI you see is most likely for the SWM itself.

In your case, you only need a Broadband DECA and PI to get connected to the Internet.

- Merg