1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can I do this with a SWM-16? (Tuner Count)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by les_garten, Mar 17, 2014.

1. les_garten

les_garten Cool Member

Aug 29, 2011
    I have a SWM-16

On Leg #1 of the SWM I have a Genie and a HR24 (7 Tuners)

One Leg #2 of the SWM, I have 3 HR22's (6 Tuners)

What would happen if I took one of the HR22's off and added another Genie, that would give me 9 Tuners on that Leg(#2). Would it work as long as I didn't try to use all 9 tuners at once?

Thanx!

2. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    First of all, DirecTV won't give you a second Genie...even if you bought one from a third party, they won't activate it.

However, that aside, assuming some other configuration that totals 9 tuners, you would have to configure one of the HR22's to use only 1 tuner (a setting in the satellite setup).

3. les_garten

les_garten Cool Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Thanx for that info.

Never say never...

4. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    No it's never right now. They won't do it. We all think they will allow it someday but there's no way they will activate two for anyone today. There system won't even let then right now. It's a hard line.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    if you succeed activating two Genies let us know as thus would be very exciting for those who have tried but have failed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. les_garten

les_garten Cool Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Sounds like a lot of people already got the T-shirt!

7. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I hate the words "Can't be done".

8. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Oh they hard coded the system so regular csr can't mistakenly do it it seems.

Obviously it could be done previously and for testing but at this point their system won't allow one to be activate to an account that already has one. My folks had a genie go bad and swapped it for a new genie. THe csr started to activate the new one and it kicked her out and she had to delete the old one first and start over.

9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    but to answer the OP question, connecting ether Genie to the second output of the SWM16 would make the Genie boot up with only 4 tuners but will give you a constant 776 message

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I've heard of no more than two people claiming to have succeeded and I suspect that at least one of them isn't telling the whole truth about the circumstances under which it may have happened.

11. les_garten

les_garten Cool Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Thanx!

Now it's beginning to sound like a UFO/Conspiracy theory kinda deal!

;-)

12. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    There where a few when it first got released because they got it before the system had been locked up and everyone knew about it. There have also been many reports of a few people who afterward where caught and had the extra genie deactivated and they would not reactivate it.

All the rest of the people with two, like myself, received them as testing units and that is the sign IMHO that someday it will be allowed. But it's not ready yet. That's been hashed out in other threads. If there was any way to get two id have done that for my folks ages ago and id have three.

13. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Why would the fact that people who helped test the units have two mean that someday they'll allow others to do so? If instead of getting a free HR44 from helping test they gave you $200, would that mean someday Directv will give $200 checks to all their customers? :)

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Kind of a pointless post, but might have to do with being part of the test group.

15. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    I suspect when DirecTv allowed some testers to run two genies it was their intent to allow this to anyone in the near future. But the testing showed issues with two genies and so for the moment (until DirecTV fixes the problems - I assume this will happen some day) people are limited to one.

16. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    As "one of them", yes there were a few things that they'd need to address, but more of an issue is what happened with client pairing and a power loss or software update. It could be quite "challenging" for the testers and not something a normal customer or CSR could deal with very well.

"Of course" the next thing will be "I just want two Genies and no clients" so....
    Yeah, right, and then someone adds a RVU TV or a client and it goes to hell.

17. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Yep. It all needs to work right first.

18. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    Yes, I was referring mainly to the client pairing issues.....

19. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    There's a way to have 2 Genies working in your home but unless you have a dealer showroom account you can't do it...................

SIG

20. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right.... until you add RVU clients then "hell breaks loose"

See post #16 for reference