1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I do this?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by njmurvin, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njmurvin

njmurvin Legend

Oct 17, 2006
    I want to record movies from HBO, SHOW, etc. onto my HR20/21. Then, I'd like to convert those movies to make them watchable on my iPhone (and my wife's iPod nano). I know there is software to convert DVDs and certain other video formats for iPod viewing. I realize I can't do this directly from the HR2x. But, could I record to a DVD recorder and then convert the DVDs? I wouldn't need HD. But, maintaining 16x9 would be nice. Has anyone done this?

2. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Yes - you can do this using a DVD Recorder connected to your HR-20 S-Video and RCA outputs. Once recorded, you can convert the DVDs. However, certain DRM implementations seem to be becoming more commonplace which may prevent success with certain channels/services.

3. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    or straight to computer with a capture card..

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I use a DVD recorder for this purpose, and Super DVD ripper to change the file format for my music player.

5. njmurvin

njmurvin Legend

Oct 17, 2006
    I found a USB capture box that claims to capture S-Video or composite with audio and uses hardware compression to create mpeg 1,2 and 4 files via USB. Here's an excerpt from their website:

"The USB 2.0 MPEG-4 Grabber really encodes video into MPEG4 file by hardware, It can let you capture High-quality MPEG-1,2,4 video and audio file direct by USB 2.0 interface without sound card."

Does anyone know if the iPod/iPhone can view any mpeg 4 video? If so, this might be the best way to accomplish what I'm after . . .

6. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    Yes - the iPod plays mp4. ;)

7. GibsonGuy

GibsonGuy Cool Member

Jan 20, 2008

housekamp, Is your capture card for a desktop or laptop? Been looking at one for my laptop and wasn't sure if there was one that was better than the other.

8. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I have an older wintv usb2 that works with both laptop and my desktop machines..

9. GibsonGuy

GibsonGuy Cool Member

Jan 20, 2008

Thanks. Seems more versatile having a stand alone unit compared to a card.

10. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    btw GibsonGuy - welcome to the forums to another Idahoan :)

11. GibsonGuy

GibsonGuy Cool Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Thanks. Been lurking for a while and learning a lot from this site. Boise here as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.