1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i do this?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by cmtar, Sep 16, 2008.

1. cmtar

cmtar Icon

Nov 16, 2005
    im getting DN next week, HD DVR. They told me if i have it connected to a phoneline or internet i save $5. Is there a way i can just bridge it to my laptop to call home now and then or does it call home ever few mins to check. If so when does it call home so i can connect it then.

Also, instead of using the DVR for 2 tv's can I just use it for 1 and have 4 tuners one 1 tv?

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    The DVR only has 2 Sat tuners total and one OTA tuner not two tuners per TV. IF you run in Dual mode the 722/622 behaves like two Single HD DVRS for the most part. At the most One 722/622 has 3 HD/SD tuners. Two for Sat and one for SD. I would suggest reading the 722 first look document located at the sticky thread on top. Should give you a better idea of how the 722/622 works.

As for the phoneline/internet thing. I would suggest keeping it connected to one or the other. One thing you can do if you don't have connectivity to your Internet is use a HomePlug device that will bridge your DVR to your DSL/Cable router through your electrical lines. I have one and it works very good.

3. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    What kind of Internet access do you have?

I would think that a bridge would work if you are connected to the Internet on one network card (i.e. mobile broadband, or wireless) and connect your receiver to your laptop via your Ethernet card.

However, I'm not sure when it calls home, so that could be a problem. It is best to provide it with a constant connection to Ethernet or phone.

Can you force it to connect to check in when you have it connected?

4. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    You can force it to connect to check if it is working, but it has to be connected when the system tells it to check in order to get the fee waived.

5. aumandg

aumandg New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    HMMM,

I told them that I do not have a phone line and only cell phones and my $5 fee has not showed up on my bill since.

6. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    Were you seeing the fee before telling them that?

7. aumandg

aumandg New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Yes, I was seeing the fee, before I told them.

8. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    You can force it to connect, if and only if, a connection is pending, i.e was missed. Works for those who don't always have theirs connected to a phone line/internet.