1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can I drop all but 1 receiver?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by schlar01, Jul 12, 2012.

1. schlar01

schlar01 Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    I'm looking to save the fees on the extra 2 receivers I have (3 total, 1 DVR). Is there an easy way to set things up so that every room is running off a single receiver?

I've got a HR24-500 and two H23-600s. I can't remember exactly how its hooked up in the back room at the moment.

Just curious, as I only need to use 1 room at a time.

2. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sure! They make HDMI switcher boxes and cables up to 50' long. To control the one receiver you keep you can use IR extender devices or RF remote controls so you can change channels from other rooms.

For sending an SD signal, you can get a modulator for about $20 and send the signal via coax cable.

The problem you might run into is HDCP. (copy protection scheme)

If your HD DVR has an HDMI cable/TV connected to it but the TV is turned off or does not communicate with the DVR the other outputs will display a message on certain (crabby) channels that don't want their content recorded.

To check this out, tune to channel 100, the barker channel for PPV. It is set up to check this feature.

3. xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    I have 2 TVs in one room. Facing different parts of my room. I have an HDTV and SDTV. HD runs off HDMI and the SD runs to a RF Modulator via composite off the HR24. Here is what you will see if your TV can't show protected content.

http://m.flickr.com/photo.gne?id=7560057096&

4. xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    Delete this post

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    A HDMI switcher is commonly multi-in/single out. A few will do 4 in and 2 out. But what you really need is just the opposite, something that takes one input and creates multiple outputs, all of which mirror each other.

This is technically referred to as an HDMI video distribution amplifier, or VDA. It has a single HDMI receive chip, which connects to an electronic network that buffers and amplifies the signal, which then connects to multiple HDMI transmit chips. There is no switching; it just presents the input signal multiple times on multiple outputs all the time, sort of like how an amplified RF splitter can present the input signal to multiple outputs. One port in, multiple ports out.

I am not sure how this is referred to for consumer products, but I would go to monoprice.com. They certainly have this, and they also have low prices and fast shipping.

Note that if you turn one of your TVs off or on, or select a different input on one of your TVs, that this will invoke an HDMI handshake, which means all screens mute (go to black) for a second or two. That is normal.

6. bengalfreak

bengalfreak AllStar

Sep 17, 2008
    The product you are referring to is an HDMI splitter, one in multiple out, as opposed to a switcher which is multiple in, one out.

7. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    There have been many threads on using one DVR to run multiple TV's. Below is what I use to have HD on 2 flat screens:

8. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006