1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I force R15 to download software?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bsprague, Oct 25, 2008.

1. bsprague

bsprague Legend

Feb 24, 2007
    I have a R15-500 with 0x121C downloaded on 7/20/08. I read in the HD DVR Tips and Tricks that you can force a download by resetting and slowly pressing "0 2 4 6 8" at the "Hello Screen". I tried it twice and it didn't work. It reset, reloaded the guide but the software version stayed the same.

Should it work on an R15? If so, how?

Thanks.

2. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    The same process works but it will only download the version of software in the satellite data stream that is available for that receiver. I don't recall off hand what the current version is for the R15-500, but most national release updates are rolled out over a period of weeks. When your area is targeted for the new version, it will update automatically within a few days, or you can then force the update. But until then, your receiver will not see a new version when you try to force it.

3. bsprague

bsprague Legend

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks for the reply. It has been 10 days since a release began and my R-15 has not done it on it's own yet. I obviously don't need it for anything, but since discovering DBSTalk my curiosity about how these magic things work is growing!

4. bsprague

bsprague Legend

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks for the reply.

Following that thread is why I posted this question.

It has been 10 days since the release began and it has yet to automatically download, I thought I might try the 0-2-4-6-8 reset. It didn't work. It didn't download either the old or new. It just reset.

I attempted search for threads that clearly explained how to do the 0-2-4-6-8 on my R15 and couldn't find it

5. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    As I said, the rollouts are generally staggered. Until Directv targets your region for the update, you will not be able to force it.