1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I get HD to a second TV?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by lsokoloff, May 19, 2011.

1. lsokoloff

lsokoloff AllStar

Nov 15, 2006
    Here is my current setup - one 722k and one 211 with external hard drive. I have one HD TV and both boxes are located and directly hooked up to that HDTV. I run an SD signal via a distribution system to the rest of the TVs (five of them) in the house, so I can watch live TV or recorded programs or record programs on any TV in house. None of the rest of the TVs are HD at the moment.

However , one TV just conked out on me and I'll be getting a new HDTV to replace it. Is there any way that I can keep my two receivers in their current location and get an HD signal to a remote TV or will I have to either get a third box or move one of the receivers to that TVs location? I really want to be able to access both of the boxes from any TV in the house as I can now, but it would also be nice if I could watch programs in HD on the new TV.

Len

2. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
  3. lsokoloff

lsokoloff AllStar

Nov 15, 2006
    So I assume you take the HDMI connnection from the receiver to the TV at the receiver location and the component connections to the balun to the CAT5 to the remote TV. In my case, my TV at the receiver's location does not have an HDMI conection, so I have to use the component connections. Can I make that work somehow?

Len

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Both the HDMI and Component outputs are live, so since you are already using component for the TV the receiver is next to, you can run HDMI to the "new" TV. You can do that either with a long HDMI cable (but 75' is typically the limit), or get HDMI-to-CAT5 baluns, which allow runs of up to 300' or so, to connect it.

Note that you will be mirroring the receivers TV1 output, and NOT the TV2 output like your other TVs see, so both TVs on the TV1 output will always see the same thing, while the older TVs on the TV2 output will be independent.

Your other option, of course, is to get another HD receiver for the new HDTV. That will give you another independent HD output.

5. lsokoloff

lsokoloff AllStar

Nov 15, 2006
    Thanks - today is the first time I heard of a balun and never knew there was an HDMI to CAT5 balun. So if I go the route of mirroring my TV1, I will still have the ability to use all the DVR features too correct? That sounds like my best option or at least the first one to try. I like having the ability to access both DVR's from any TV in the house.

Len

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    All you are doing is sending a copy of the video and audio output that you always see on the TV1 to a second TV. It's kind of like having 2 monitors on your computer. Everything that you can do on the first TV you can do on the second, because it's just a copy. But again, you will NOT have *independent* control, so if you are watching a show (live or from the DVR) on one TV, the other will be displaying the exact same thing.

The only way to get INDEPENDENT control is with another HD receiver.

7. lsokoloff

lsokoloff AllStar

Nov 15, 2006
    Thanks for the clarification. But with a remote at each location, you could control the picture and annoy the other viewer correct? In addition I would still have my TV2 and my signal from my other receiver (both in SD) via the RG6 cable that I am using now with my video distribution system. That might work for me.

Len

8. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    Wouldn't the Dish Sling Adapter, and an HTPC allow the OP to connect an HD TV to TV2 on the 722k? ;)

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Yes, absolutely. But that is potentially a much more expensive solution.

10. lsokoloff

lsokoloff AllStar

Nov 15, 2006
    A Sling Adaptor is in essence free right now though.

Len

11. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    That might work fine.

The Adapter grabs the TV2 output but" Slings" it in HD. So assuming you have a 722k at your home theater using the TV1 output, the distant viewer will not annoy the home theater viewer.
    Apparently, according to the Free Sling Adapter? thread.

12. lsokoloff

lsokoloff AllStar

Nov 15, 2006
    Okay, a new question regarding getting HD to my second TV. I got my Sling Adapter and can use it just fine using my laptop. So it seems to me as stated in Post #8 above that I can run an HDMI cable from my laptop to the second TV and have an HD picture there too using the TV2 feed. That's all well and good, but I would still have to use the computer's onscreen menu and mouse to skip forward, pause, delete, etc. That could be a bit of a PIA. Is there any kind of a device that would allow me to connect to that would have a remote that would let me work the menu? I just had a chat with DISH and they tell me there is no such thing. However, I think that if it can be done, one of you guys will know about it.

Thanks.

Len

13. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    You just need a wireless mouse.

14. lsokoloff

lsokoloff AllStar

Nov 15, 2006
    Okay, but unless I'm missing something, I still need to press the "Escape" key to get out of the full screen mode and back to the smaller screen with the command prompts.

Len

15. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Double click on the screen and it toggles between full and regular.

16. lsokoloff

lsokoloff AllStar

Nov 15, 2006
    Aha - I did not know that. That should help. I tried right clicking and left clicking - never thought to double click. Is there a "How To" guide on using the Sling Adapter? I wonder if I'm missing some other features.

Thank you.

Len

17. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Trial and error. :)

18. jrtexas

jrtexas New Member

May 18, 2009
    Why doesn't Dish have a DVR that will support 2 HD receivers? I just bought a new HD TV to replace an old analog set in a game room and would like HD capability in two places. Sorry if I'm missing something but I can't find an answer.

19. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
  20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'm sure they will do it some day (other than via Sling and the mysteriously unproduced Sling Catcher). Only a few years after they should have - although the "more than one HD" household wasn't in play a few years ago as much as it is today.