1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I get up to date with an HR24?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Schyler, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Jul 1, 2010 #1 of 12
    Schyler

Schyler AllStar

Sep 8, 2006
    In 2006, I jumped on board with the DirecTV HD DVR series with one of the first HR20-700 units that hit the market. I visited the forums multiple times a day and downloaded every Cutting Edge release. Being an unhappy TiVo expat, I was frustrated with the initial roughness and unreliability of the software, but it eventually won be over as it eventually became a capable DVR. As the product became more mature, the Cutting Edge releases became less exciting and other forces in life drew my attention away. I still visited the forums occasionally, and kept track of major events through Twitter. That's the backstory, which brings me to now.

I have one HR20-700 which is nearly four years old connected to the original, 5LNB square AT-9 dish. I also have a pair of ancient, failing Series 2 DirecTiVos connected to a nearly fifteen year old 18" round dish.

With the DirecTiVos failing, and no sign of the announced-but-never-produced modern HD DirecTiVo forthcoming, I need to upgrade. I'd like to go with three HR24 series DVRs and connect them to my AT-9 dish. I currently only have the multiswitch capacity for two of them, though. I'd like to switch to a SWM setup to simplify the wiring and get rid of the old single sat dish.

I'm reasonably versed in the DirecTV tech that has been developed while I have been less active, but I don't have the nuts and bolts level knowledge I used to. I'm aware that if I searched the forums for hours, I could find all the information I need, but I'd really like some human input.

I'd like to get a SWM LNB for my AT9 dish, a SWM multiswitch and three HR24 DVRs.

My beliefs and assumptions, based on a bit of research, are:

- That a SWM LNB for my AT-9 dish exists
    - That only one wire is needed from that LNB into the house where the multiswitch is
    - That an eight port SWM multiswitch will be needed to run all six tuners on three DVRs
    - That this will all work

Does this all seem reasonable?

2. Jul 1, 2010 #2 of 12
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The AT-9 doesn't have a SWiM LNB.
    Moving to the AU-9 does have a SWiM LNB and has a single coax output, which gets split as needed to feed up to eight tuners.
    To make sure you get HR24s, you'd need to get them through a retail outlet.

3. Jul 1, 2010 #3 of 12
    Schyler

Schyler AllStar

Sep 8, 2006
    Dang it. And I just re-mounted and re-peaked my AT9 a few months ago. I found LNBs on SolidSignal that looked like they would work, too.

So you're saying that if you call up DirecTV and ask for HR24s, they won't send them? They'll just send you whatever HR2x boxes they have around?

<sigh>

This isn't going to be as easy as I'd hoped.

4. Jul 1, 2010 #4 of 12
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    :lol: [sorry]

When was anything easy anymore?

The HR24s are in somewhat short supply still and being earmarked for the "connected home" networking [DECA] and the "whole home DVR" service [MRV]. Even getting this installed isn't a guarantee that you'll get all 24s, but the odds are better.
    The connected home might be what you want to do, since the $99 + service call and a receiver install could all be rolled into one package/deal and this would replace the dish/LNB, get you the SWiM, have the receivers networked and have a better chance of getting 24s. :shrug:

5. Jul 1, 2010 #5 of 12
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You can ask for an HR24, but what they can send you is a Plus HD DVR. At this point in time that could be anything from an HR21 to and HR24.

Ordering through an online retailer seems to be the only way to assure that you're getting and HR24.

Note that if you aren't excited about going through the CE process again, you might want to hold off.

6. Jul 1, 2010 #6 of 12
    azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    I also wanted an additional HR24, Since DTV couldn't guarantee an HR24, I ordered one from Solid Signal and installed it myself.

7. Jul 1, 2010 #7 of 12
    mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    The SWM will be either the SWM-LNB or a standalone SWM multiswitch (not both). If you get the SWM-LNB, in your case you could replace your multiswitch with a 4-way splitter (preferrably green label splitter), or add three 2-way splitters somewhere in the loop. You will also need a power inserter somewhere in the loop.

:)

8. Jul 8, 2010 #8 of 12
    Schyler

Schyler AllStar

Sep 8, 2006
    Okay, taking this point by point...

The HR24s are only available from retailers... and what was that about starting the CE process again? Are they using a less stable/feature complete version of the software?

If I have a dish with one SWM output, I only need a high frequency splitter, not a multiswitch?

I will still need two cables per receiver, though, right?

I'm surprised that AT9 and AU9 don't use the same LNB. They use the same mast, though, correct? If I get a SWM AU9, I should just be able to assemble the dish, attach it to the mast and point/peak it, right?

Getting an install from DirecTV isn't really an option. I have a wildly nonstandard install that I handled myself back in 2006. The dish is almost at ground level, and fires a ridiculous route through overhanging limbs on one side of the yard and tall trees on the other. It's a good thing that they stopped using 110/119 for primary channels, since I was beginning to lose them to tree growth. Going with a 99/101/103 setup will simplify matters greatly.

9. Jul 8, 2010 #9 of 12
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You should ask that question in the CE forum.

You'll need a green-label DIRECTV-branded splitter, but only one cable per receiver, if you have SWM.

They use the same mast, I can tell you from experience.

10. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    HR24s are available from Directv, but you cannot specify a particular model of HD DVR, so you may or may not get one.

The CE process is ongoing for all models, with new version practically every week (see the CE forum for details).

With SWM, you only need one cable per DVR. You could either replace the dish or use a SWM8 with your current dish (the price at Solid Signal is the same, either way).

The AT-9 has the 110 and 119 LNBs in a separate assembly, while the AU9 has them in a common assembly. The mast is the same (2.0 in.) With a 5 LNB dish and SWM, the guide data always comes from 101, so you can set a receiver up for a Slimline 3 and it will still be happy.

11. Schyler

Schyler AllStar

Sep 8, 2006
    As for CEs, I do remember the first rule of CE... =) I still download them fairly regularly, but only look at the HR20 sections of the notes. I was just wondering if there are issues with the HR24 software that would make them less desirable than older hardware. I'll have to do some digging.

Okay, so here's the plan: I'm not getting away from a new dish, I guess, so I'll get an AU9-SL3-SWM since I don't need 110/119 and I do want SWM. I'll need a green splitter, and I'll probably get a four port for future expansion since I currently only need one output for each of the two receivers.

So if I were to buy all this from SolidSignal, I'm looking at HR24 ($200) x2, AU9-SL3-SWM ($140), splitter ($10) = $550

When I called DirecTV the other day and inquired generally about this upgrade, they said they'd give it to me installed for $99.

Wanting the HR24 and wanting to do the install myself is looking like an expensive proposition.

Is there ABSOLUTELY no way to wrangle HR24's from DirecTV?

12. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    There are places to find that info...