1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can I have 2 EHD on one Hopper

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by nospmahm, Jan 29, 2013.

1. nospmahm

nospmahm Mentor

Nov 18, 2006
    I have 2 Hoppers, each with its own EHD. I need to transfer the contents of one EHD to the other EHD.
    Can I connect 2 EHD to one Hopper and transfer from one to the other?

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    You can connect both to one Hopper. You can't copy directly from one EHD to the other.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    perhaps you both should read that posts/threads where is a keyword "DishArc" ...

4. nospmahm

nospmahm Mentor

Nov 18, 2006
    P Smith,
    I'll Have to admit I am not very smart, I have searched for over an hour trying to find a "DishArc" article/post that applies to my post. I have not yet been able to find the needle n the haystack.
    I would be most grateful if you would please post a "Link" to that specific article/post so I can get this done.:)

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    strange ... I did search for the word, got two pages of relevant threads and start reading from oldest one ... hope you know the drill ... this oldest one brought enough info to make your day http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=147760&highlight=DishArc

6. nospmahm

nospmahm Mentor

Nov 18, 2006
    I had read what you just sent the link for. I did not think it applied to me because my computers are all Win7, I did not realize I should have included that info in my post.
    Since I don't have Ubuntu software, I guess the only way to do this is to copy all the shows to the Hopper hard drive and then connect the new EHD formatted (by Dish) and copy them to it. Sounds like something to do when I have a couple days to mess with it.
    Thanks

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    oh.. why you not download Ubuntu ISO, burn bootable CD/DVD disk and boot from it ?! you don't need to install it for your task

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Logically, you should be posting this question in the Hopper forum.

Are you looking to make a copy of the entire HD or just move a few programs around?

9. nospmahm

nospmahm Mentor

Nov 18, 2006
    Harsh,
    Sorry, I thought this was the Hopper Forum.
    After spending many hours I moved the programs back to the Hopper hard drive, let Dish format the new EHD and it did not show up as an external drive. After lots of research I found out that USB powered hard drives will not work, story of my life!
    Thanks to every one.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Duh ! From day#1 of EHD it was outlined.

Well , you got a lesson:
    - read before do something what is new for you.

11. d_cubed

d_cubed New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Milwaukee,WI
    What forum is this?

12. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Dang...at lunch today I just bought a nice little Toshiba USB powered EHD so I could pull some stuff off my 722 before this weekend's upgrade. Should have known to double check that was ok. :grin: Guess I'll be dropping by Best Buy again on the way home.

Come on Dish...why so stingy with the USB voltage? :lol:

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Check if the enclosure has additional DC jack, then adding right power brick (+5VDC) will give you new fully functioning EHD.

14. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Nope, it doesn't. There is an online link in the instructions to buy a special USB cable with power insertion from Toshiba. Might have done that if not for the time crunch. The USB powered units are so much more compact. Too bad Dish receivers are not designed to send industry standard power over the USB ports.

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    another chance for you is to get powered hub or a hub with a DC jack, usually it req +5VDC 2.5A