1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I just buy a box?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by michaelc, Feb 23, 2009.

1. michaelc

michaelc New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Is it possible to buy an HD DVR (if not, any kind of receiver?) without a programming contract? Our house isn't fully ready to dive straight into D*, and I'm thinking of buying a receiver so the person who will pay the monthly bill can just activate it, and thus share the costs.

Is there any way to purchase a receiver without having a subscription contract? How much will it cost? $299? More?

2. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    The HR21Pro is a purchased/owned receiver.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=HR21PRO

Beyond that you would have to talk to DirecTV and find out what they will do for you.

CAUTION: If you purchase a receiver from a private party, verify with DirecTV that it is an owned receiver. Don't take their word for it.

BTW, Welcome to DBSTalk. :welcome_s

Mike

3. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Honestly, your best bet will be to wait until everything is ready and then get the receiver. You'll probably save yourself from a few headaches ..

4. cweave02

cweave02 W4SKO

Oct 12, 2007
    They have them at Best Buy.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DIRECTV equipment acquired at BB is leased and requires that you commit to at least 18 months of qualifying DIRECTV programming (24 months for DVR and/or HD).

The key here is that without DIRECTV programming, each and every one of DIRECTV's current receivers and/or DVRs is USELESS. Setting yourself up to buy the hardware and having the other person back out is an arguably dangerous situation.

There is little point in buying something that you cannot use. Further, under the new lease plans the only remotely valid reason to own is if there is a substantial property tax advantage to doing so.

6. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    All right, I can't help myself...What tax advantage?

Mike

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Some jurisdictions charge property taxes on consumer electronics gear. Some of these jurisdictions assess a lesser fee for owned equipment than they do for leased equipment.

You really do have to go really far out on a very thin limb to justify purchasing.

Don't ask me, I'm from Oregon where we don't have a sales tax nor a tax on "inventory".

8. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    Well ok then. I've never head of such a thing. :grin:

To the OP, other then the HR21Pro, it's very, very difficult to get an owned receiver and a lease will come with a two year commitment.

Mike

9. michaelc

michaelc New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    This is the principle behind subsidizing of new cell phones as well, but some people pay extra to buy handsets without a service contract. I wasn't sure if any such thing existed for D*. I just want the flexibility to come and go as I please. More people will too, as the economy falls apart and people aren't sure if they will remain employed long enough that they can afford $50+ a month for television for two years (at least the phone is generally considered a necessity, television is not.)

And yes, I know how D* boxes are useless without an authorized card. I was a customer for nearly a decade until I dropped them for cable. Then I moved, and the local cable ain't so great.

10. peano

peano Icon

Feb 1, 2004
    Am I reading the OP wrong in that he wants to share an account?

11. michaelc

michaelc New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    I'm not sure what that means. We're two people sharing a house at the same address. It's no different than someone's spouse or girlfriend wanting to watch. I don't think anyone is "stealing television" so long as they live at the same location and agree to both watch, right?

One of us, obviously, has to pay the monthly bill. To make it less expensive, I was hoping to pay for the setup and equipment costs.

Just like any other subscription, one person has to pay for the location's utility, or internet, or what have you. Same thing applies here.

12. peano

peano Icon

Feb 1, 2004
    Look for an H20 or HR20 on ebay that is owned - not leased. Get the RID number from the seller and confirm with Directv it is owned. You will have to pay for a new access card.

13. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    The easiest, most economical way is to split the first bill. Least costly way to start and gives you a chance to split the upfront costs however you want.

Good luck and have fun,
    Tom

14. michaelc

michaelc New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Thanks, guys. I'm not trying to do anything nefarious here, just avoid a situation if I lose my income six months into a two year contract.

15. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    No worries, we understand.

And sharing is good (within the same address as you've already made clear.) :)

Cheers,
    Tom

16. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    There is another alternative.

You could set yourself up with a commerical account.

All boxes are owned. No commitment.

Downsides are a somewhat different programming mix with different month costs. You will also need to setup a "buisness" and do some paperwork to get setup. Of course you have to buy the boxes.

17. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Not true. Commercial accounts have a 12 month commitment. DIRECTV for Business accounts in Residences are allowed. However, they will only be installed where the business takes place (waiting room, office). The better deal is for Residential accounts by far.

J

18. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    I would just call D* and purchase the boxes you want but understand they come at a price! The HD DVR I purchased was $499!!!! A DVR or HD box is $399 and standard boxes are $169.

19. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    My bad, there is a 12 month commitment.

But it is an alternative to doing a residential account.

20. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you factor in the additional cost to own a receiver and avoid a committment, you will find the break even point (versus paying the early termination fee) is well short of the 2 year committment. For example, if you get only one HD DVR and pay $199, then terminate after 12 months, your penalty is $240 ($20 times 12), and your total cost is $199 + $240 = $439. If you pay $499 for an HD DVR and have no committment, and terminate after 12 months, you have paid $499. Leasing would have saved you $60. You might argue "but I can sell the unit and recover some or all of my cost". Maybe. Maybe not. That depends on the evolution of technology, the price you ask versus what it costs someone to lease a unit, etc. Even factoring in some amount of recovery, at most points in the term of service you would break even or come out ahead by leasing versus buying.