1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I lay my eSata drive on it's side?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Bergthold, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bergthold

Bergthold AllStar

May 30, 2007
    I have been using a Seagate Free Agent Pro 750 GB drive with my HR20-100 for several months now with no problems. I purchased a new TV and am moving my equipment rack.

I have been using the drive standing up like it is supposed to be. I would like to lay it on it's side. I wouldn't think that this would matter. Is anybody here using a drive on it's side? I appreciate any feedback on this.

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    The drive itself would not matter, but I would be concerned about the ventilation.

3. Bergthold

Bergthold AllStar

May 30, 2007
    The drive actually vents out the bottom of the stand. The stand is fixed to the case. So laying it on it's side would actually give it better ventilation.

4. John in Georgia

John in Georgia Godfather

Sep 24, 2006
    Yes, you may.

5. meller

meller Mentor

Oct 4, 2007
    Hi ,
    I just purchased a Western Digital 'MY BOOK' Home edition external 1TB drive to use with my HR20-700. It does not appear to be working. It connects fine but I don't seem to be recording yo it and as I can recall hearing was that I should not be able to see the internal drive when I cannect the external one. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

6. hrobbs

hrobbs AllStar

Jan 22, 2007
    You're not going to want to hear this, but several people have posted that the WD My Book doesn't work. I have a WD internal drive in an external case and it has worked great.

7. meller

meller Mentor

Oct 4, 2007
    So what do you suggest in its place?

8. hrobbs

hrobbs AllStar

Jan 22, 2007
  9. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Remember, it is always BEST practice to NOT move drives will under power or use.

10. kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    I've been using mine that wat since I bought it (several months)

No problems !

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.