1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i move genie clients from room to room?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cbflip2000, Mar 16, 2013.

1. cbflip2000

cbflip2000 New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    i am signing up with direct tv. i have 3 tvs so that means 2 cilents. but i also have a theater room that we occasionally use to watch tv. can i just plug the client into the coax jack in the theater room and we would be ok? thanks

2. cwtech

cwtech Mentor

Oct 12, 2012
    this is really all gonna depend on your setup, were all your cables meet at, if you want to pay/ if the installer wants to charge you for hooking up a additional outlet without a receiver. but yes theoretically it can be done and has been done. Just when the installer gets there let him know what you would like and politely ask him if its not to much trouble if he would look and see how hard or extra work it would be if he could help you out. Most companies allow there techs to charge around $45 for this, and if he helps you out most techs would be grateful for there lunch paid for for the day, wink wink lol..

3. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    As far as I know, the SWiM splitters ports are all the same (except for DC power passing) the Genie has no way of knowing (or caring if it's really that smart) which port a client is connected too.

As long as all cables are spec should work.

If any of this isn't right, PLEASE post details, I might have an install coming up like this if I ever get over my bad cold. {cough}

4. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Oh, just remembered, don't forget the little beanie caps.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    It took me a minute to figure out this statement. I'm assuming that you are referring to the terminating resistors (screw on caps with resistor built in) that go on unused outputs of the splitter. Yes, every unused port should be terminated. If you have a live feed to a room that is not used, you should have a terminating cap at that location until you connect a receiver or client. Likewise, when you disconnect a receiver or client to move it elsewhere, you should put a terminating cap on that jack.

6. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Sorry, half lit from NyQuil and could not remember what to call them.

I think the Dish DPP units need them too.

Some of those things are just caps and some have a resistor in them. I suppose it makes a difference which one to use .. .

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    DPP does not need termination (75 Ohm caps), it wouldn't be right thing to do !

8. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    So that might have been where I saw the caps w/o the resistors?

I even have a few in my tray of weird stuff I don't need very often that I dare not throw away.

Anyone need a light pen to set the timer on a Toshiba VCR ??

:eek2: