1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can I put old access card in new DVR/receiver?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by kathymoore, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kathymoore

kathymoore Legend

Mar 3, 2006
    I have an old DirecTV access card from my deactivated HD receiver. It was used
    for a few months last year, until I upgraded to the HD DVR. Is the old access
    card still usable if I get another DVR or receiver?

Thanks! :

2. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    If the card is staying under your account and your still in good standing w/ D*, most people have been able to. You need to call D* and have them marry the card to the new receiver. If you get a new unopened HD DVR then of course you wil get a new.

3. bpayne

bpayne Legend

Oct 24, 2004

No, the old access cards are not compatible with the newer receivers. The DVRs (both the R15 and HR20) seem to have more issues with this then the the H20 and D11 regarding this. Using the previous series of cards will lead to constant lockups and random rebooting.

Either use the access card that comes with your HR20 or call up DirecTV to order a new one.

4. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    As bpayne states, R15 and HR20 require new cards (and come with them) but an older card is still fine in R10, HR10 or pretty much anything purchased on the used market. Of course it depends on how old the card is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.