1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can I self-install this Genie upgrade?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Veloso, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Veloso

Veloso New Member

Jul 23, 2013
    I believe that everything is set up here that the upgrade to a Genie setup should be straightforward, but I'd appreciate if an expert could verify this.

I have two HR-21s today connected with whole-home service, but one is getting flaky. I'd like to lose both and replace them with an HR-44 and a C-41. My current setup has a SWM power inserter downstairs, and a DECA broadband adapter upstairs by my router. Both DVRs get internet through Connected Home Adapters. I'd like to install an HR-44 downstairs and a C-41 upstairs.

Am I right in assuming it should be a straightforward procedure to order these from a third party, install them in place of the old boxes, and call DirecTV for activation? I understand that the new receivers will be leased and I'll also have to return the old ones, and that I'll have to recommit for another two years. I'd much rather go through DirecTV than a third party reseller for this, but I would be incredibly disappointed to get an HR-34, so as I understand it, this is my only option.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, it should be a simple swap.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You will need to go to a particular screen on the Genie, get a PIN number, then go upstairs and enter that into the C41 but it's not difficult.