1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I set up new account in my name (vs current account in husband's name)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by aa62579, Apr 19, 2012.

1. aa62579

aa62579 Cool Member

Apr 18, 2012
    We have been with Dish Network for around 10 years and expect to stay with the next provider for many years as well. We don't jump around, so a 2 year contract does not matter.

We will be moving later on this year. With our current setup, one receiver is original SD receiver. Other is still a standard receiver that was replaced earlier this year when the card reader in the original went out. No DVR, no HD programming, etc.

We want to add DVRs or some kind of whole house setup, so our current equipment will not help any in the move.

It looks like if we switched to Direct, we would get a pretty good deal being a new customer. However, I'd still kind of like to stay with Dish, but money has to be the deciding factor.

So, it looks like my options are either to switch to Direct TV, be able to open a new account in my name at the new house, or the retention department would offer some deal to keep us from switching to Direct. The retention department is the last choice that I want to do - I will go out of my way to avoid speaking on the phone with someone and since the account is in my husband's name, they would probably need to speak with him anyway and I know he is not going to know what is a good deal or not.

Any advice? (We may still be 6 months away from moving as we have to remodel first and have to do the labor ourselves.)

(BTW - plan would be to stay with Top 250, 1 Hopper, 3 Joeys, protection plan, and probably add in HD programming. There may be a 5th TV, but not certain if it could be a standard receiver, split off from one of the other TVs, or maybe just have a DVD player down there and no satellite access to it. If we went with Direct, we would need Choice Ultimate and the equivalent to have DVR access in 4 rooms.)

2. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    I would be happy to assist you. If you would provide your account number to me in a PM, I can review your account and provide you information about the upgrade to the Hopper/Joey and your move. Please let me know. Thanks.

3. aa62579

aa62579 Cool Member

Apr 18, 2012
    That is very kind of you.

4. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    That is his job. And it's better dealing with him and other DIRT members, than Dish's csr's, supervisors and retention.

5. aa62579

aa62579 Cool Member

Apr 18, 2012
    So basically, I think this is what I would be looking at with Dish if we wanted HD on more than one tv:

Monthly Charges
    America's Top 250 69.99
    DVR Service 6.00
    Protection Plan 6.00
    HD 250 Free ($10/Mo) 0.00
    Whole Home DVR Service 4.00
    Joey Receiver 7.00
    Joey Receiver 7.00
    Joey Receiver 7.00
    106.99 + tax

To stay with dish, we would need the new customer deal of the free HD for life, the leased receiver credit, and the new customer credits (20/mo for 12 months and 6/mo for 4 months). Looks like I can't add a standard receiver for the 5th tv with a Hopper. We would have to go up to two hoppers (and add $199 equipment charge). If I could get the new customer deal for one year, my costs would be $80.99/mo plus tax for the first 4 months, and 86.99 for the next 8 months.

With direct, I could do a HD advanced DVR in one room with 3 other HD receivers. Would get $40 in credit the first year and $20 the second year. Free movie channels for 3 months and NFL Sunday Ticket (neither of these is really appealing, but just stating the terms of the deal).

Choice Ultimate 74.99
    Advanced Receiver Service $20.00
    Additional TV (4) $18.00 (The first one is free.)
    Protection Plan 5.99
    118.89 + tax

However with the new customer deals, monthly fee is reduced to $78.98 the first year and $89.02 the second year (this is all assuming we cancel the movie channels after the three months).

So, to be fair, we would really have to look at this over 3-4 years to determine real cost.

Dish
    80.99(4) + 86.99(8) + 106.99(12) + 106.99(12) = 3587.64 for 3 years
    3587.64 + 106.99 (12) = 4871.52 for 4 years

Direct
    78.98(12) + 89.02(12) + 118.89(12) = 3442.68 for 3 years
    3442.68 + 118.89(12) = 4869.36 for 4 years

Dish:
    Pros - Assuming price inflation is the same with both carriers, after year 2 Dish will be cheaper monthly. Hopper/Joey and the advantages they have. Pleased so far with service. Have the channel lineup memorized.

Cons - Must get new customer free equipment and discounts to even be in the running. Even with them, will not come out ahead until sometime in the 4th year. Cannot add a 5th standard receiver. No free movie channels or NFL etc. Not sure how hopper/joey will be without landline or internet.

Direct
    Pros – Option to add 5th standard receiver for $6/mo extra. Bill will be cheaper monthly for 2 years. Free movie channels for 3 months. NFL Sunday ticket free for one year.

Cons – After the second year, will be higher monthly than Dish. New channel lineup to memorize. Reports of sluggish equipment waiting on a software update. Some report it being a hassle if your equipment is not hooked up to landline or internet.

=== I think where I am right now is this – when we do make the move, if Dish will give me a new customer deal, I will stay with them. If not, I cannot justify not making the move to Direct TV.

We’ll be strapped for cash making the move, so the prospect of any equipment upgrade charge plus a higher bill each month is just not feasible (this would be just doing a Dish Move).

6. aa62579

aa62579 Cool Member

Apr 18, 2012
    This is what I hoped would work, but I noticed that I didn't enable HD programming on it, even though I selected it for two rooms. When I went back and added the HD programming, it automatically switched me back to the Hopper and 3 Joeys. Would this be some kind of deal that they could manually do though?

Actually, it looks like if we only do two HD tvs and we pair them up, I can save about $11/mo and still have the option of adding an additional standard receiver for $7/mo.

Since we only own one HD tv, this may be the better option.

Rcvr 522/625 SD Duo (2TV) DVR
    Rcvr 322 SD Duo (2TV)

Would this combo do this:

Pair living room (HD & SR) and bedroom 1 (SR) together - DVR in living room, but can watch what was recorded on it or in bedroom 1.

Pair den (HD & SR) and bedroom 2 (SR) together - DVR in den, but can watch what was recorded in bedroom 2.

Is this how these receivers will function?

Cost Breakdown:
    Monthly Charges
    America's Top 250 69.99
    SD/SD (2TV) Receiver 14.00
    DVR Service 6.00
    Protection Plan 6.00