1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can I suspend 10 months a year?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lokar, Aug 22, 2014.

1. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    So I suspended my account last month and have been getting along just fine with OTA and an Amazon Prime subscription. I really love the NHL playoffs and soccer's Champions League final rounds though. As I understand it, you can only suspend an account 6 months a year and I would like to suspend my account for 8-9 months a year. I have an HR20 that I gather would not be recovered if I canceled D* completely so can I just cancel every year and sign up for a few months a year? Why does D* cap suspensions at 6 months, if a person is out of contract and has non-recoverable equipment it shouldn't matter how long they want to suspend for.

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    If you cancel and sign back up, expect a two year contract.

3. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I think a six-month cap on suspensions is pretty reasonable.

4. Devo1237

Devo1237 Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    Do they require a contract even if there is no new equipment/install needed? Assuming you pay the full package rates, that is.

5. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    I guess that's the question I am really asking here. If they do require a contract when there is no new equipment/install needed, I may just cut the cord completely as I think that would be ridiculous and completely unjustified.

6. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    ASK DIRECTV?

7. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    In the past, there may have been cases that didn't require a contract but now I think all "new installs" carry a contract.

I'm not 100% sure though. I'd bet there are some members here who do know the answer.

8. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    They use to let me call back at the end of six months and add a month but now its six months only. If the receivers are owned there should be no contract but call to be sure.

9. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    They are not recovering HR20s any longer.

Apparently they are not even recovering some HR24s.

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The suspension rules are abundantly clear:
    DIRECTV has chosen to leave the intermittent customers to DISH and cable where they are treated more or less like you would expect (although DISH charges $5/month).

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The other side of this axe is that you cannot open a new account without leasing at least one piece of equipment.

I've heard the re-virgination process may be possible in less than 12 months now but the commit on the leased receiver is going to foul EVERYTHING up.

12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    There's not much profit for Directv in a customer that's only active two months a year, it would take a long time to recover the cost of the install, providing equipment that sits idle most of the year (or recovering it and providing new equipment every year) and having CSRs deal with the customer starting/stopping service.

So it is easy to understand why they simply don't allow it.

13. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Of course they're also guaranteed that said customer will be theirs for 12 years to fulfill the programming commitment.

14. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    With a 12 year commitment I want at least a ring. :)

15. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I don't think they want that customer for 12 years, because the profit on service for only two months out of the year doesn't make up for all the hassles I outlined. Not to mention that in 12 years there will be technology changes. Imagine a customer today who has been with Directv since 2002. They could conceivably have had their dish upgraded four times: from 18" round to triple sat to AT9 to Slimline to SWM, five installer visits for a customer that only pays them two months a year.

16. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The customer would likely have to pay for each visit. It would take them a few years just to become eligible for the maintenance plan.

17. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    I can't help but think that if you can do without pay TV for 10 months out of the calendar year, do you really need the other 2? Even if it's just to follow a Sport, does any have a season that short?

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Seasons are longer than a couple of months ... but if all one cares about is the final few games a couple of months would work. The thread starter mentioned "the NHL playoffs and soccer's Champions League final rounds". March madness would be another good time to get a subscription so one could see the games only on "cable" leading up to broadcast TV finales.

19. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    I can certainly see why D* would not want to invest in hardware for a customer who is only active 3 months a year. But in my case, I am out of contract, I still have my original install dish and equipment from 8 years ago. The equipment is so old that D* does not bother recovering it anymore. If I paid full price for my service for the months I am active which I am fully willing to do, I don't see how D* loses anything with me doing this. I guess I will just call and see if they will agree with me or not, I will post back here so everyone can know what their policy is on situations like this.

20. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    They do spell the rules out fairly clearly in the help section (see below). If you are willing to pay for 3 months total, you might try this. Suspending service for 6 months, then pay for 1 month. Call back the next month to ask for it to be suspended for 3 months. Maybe they wouldn't look in the history to see if you already suspended in the past. At least it would be worth a try.

Current requirements for putting your service on hold:

Zero balance on your bill
    Customers with only 1 account are allowed a maximum of 2 suspend requests every 12 months
    Customers with 2 or more accounts are allowed a maximum of 4 suspend requests per account every 12 months
    Total time with service suspended per 12 month period cannot exceed 6 months
    The minimum time for an account suspend is 30 days