1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I Switch Tuners?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Crypter, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 5, 2007 #1 of 12
    Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Is there any way with the HR20 to change the tuners? In other words if I am watching a show on 1 tuner and I simply want to change the tuner so that I can see the show that is on the other tuner.

Like the HR10-250 used to be able to do

2. Oct 5, 2007 #2 of 12
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    The HR20 does not have DLB (dual live buffers) like TIVO, so, no, there is no way to switch tuners like you used to do.

However, there is a work around which involves recording and then switching between the recordings.

3. Oct 5, 2007 #3 of 12
    Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    I don't get it. I mean even if we don't have dual live buffers we should still have a way of swapping tuners. I mean that seems like a simple enough function to add to this system. Even if when we change tuners we have a new buffer. It would be nice.

So I guess since I am already asking this question, I know there are multiple DLB threads already. But is there a date when this feature will be added?

4. Oct 5, 2007 #4 of 12
    Que

Que Icon

Apr 15, 2006
    All we have so far, is Earl has said that if that is your number one thing on a DVR. You might have to go somewhere else beside D*. So no date, don't think it is coming to the HR20. Also D* new HR21 might be the same way.

I think all other DVRs out there have DLB, just not D* one. :/

There is a reason why the HR20 has no DLB, we just don't know yet. No one is telling us.

5. Oct 5, 2007 #5 of 12
    Dusty

Dusty Icon

Sep 21, 2006
    I am just curious, why do you can about switching tuners if the purpose is not DLB?

You can switch tuners by press the record button (to lock the current channel into recording), and tune to a different channel for live TV, right? I just don't know how this is meaningful without DLB.

6. Oct 5, 2007 #6 of 12
    philslc

philslc Legend

Dec 2, 2006
    Having a another buffer so you can switch tuners is called dual live buffers. We have only one live buffer on the HR20. If you want one tuner to remember where it's at while you change to the other tuner requires you to use the record buffer on the first tuner.

7. Oct 8, 2007 #7 of 12
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Not necessarily. On the HR10 you could set up the two tuners and switch between them using the down arrow. Then on one of the tuners you could change channels and switch back and forth between them using the enter button. Once done with surfing that way, you could use the down button to switch to the other tuner and the channel there. Logically, this scenario doesn't require DLB, just a function for the system to remember the previous channel on each tuner. You just need DLBs if you want to be able to pause a show. It would be nice if the single buffer would stay on one tuner even if you switched to the other one in order to surf. Yeah, I know about "just hit record", but pausing the buffer to allow surfing without losing the contents of the buffer would be a step in the right direction.

8. Oct 8, 2007 #8 of 12
    tonyoci

tonyoci Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    I understand why switching would be useful, it would allow you to monitor two channels without reentering the channel number. I suspect DirecTV does not have the second tuner even active if it's not recording.

9. Oct 8, 2007 #9 of 12
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    You can monitor two channels by using the PREV button. But, does it really change tuners or just the channel on one of the tuners?

10. MrKlaatu

MrKlaatu Godfather

Mar 7, 2007
    Change the channel?

11. mladd

mladd New Member

Oct 25, 2007
    No, change the tuner.

I just had the HR-21-700 installed today, and that is the only thing I hate with this receiver. We used to watch a show on one tuner, and simply switch to the other tuner by pressing the LiveTV or down arrow button and be able to watch a different show on the other tuner. THEN, you can go back, and rewind what you missed on the first tuner.

I don't want to have to actually record a show, just to see what's on another channel.

12. Que

Que Icon

Apr 15, 2006
    Welcome to the forum mladd!

That is DLB. All DVR made by D* does not have this and even after you record both shows you will be back to live TV. At this time there pause point does not work.

List of some DVRs with DLB

S3 from TIVO Has DLB HR10-250 SD-DVR40 Hughes GXCEBOTD
    AT&T Homezone DVR
    Dish Network – ViP622
    Charter Communications – Motorola (Moxie BMC-9000 series) and Scientific Atlanta (Explorer 8000HD).
    Cox, Comcast, Adelphia, Time Warner – Motorola (DCT-6412 & Moxie) and Scientific Atlantic (Explorer 8000HD)
    MetroCast – Motorola(DCT-6412)
    CableVision/Optimum – Scientific Atlanta (Explorer 8000HD)
    CableOne – Motorola (DCT-6412)
    FiOS – Motorola(QIP6416)

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=62118

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.