1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I test my LNB?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by edbarrows, Aug 16, 2012.

1. edbarrows

edbarrows New Member

Jun 11, 2011
    I had a near lightning strike that took out my receiver, TV, and SWM (in addition to my modem, router, phones, thermostats, oven, etc.) Got a new TV, DirecTV sent me a new receiver, I put in a new SWM and have replaced the lightning arrestor but I'm still not able to see the satellites. I have 20 volts in the cable at the dish so it would seem the cables are still good and this SWM is working. Is there anyway to test the LMB without dropping in a replacement unit? I've found them on Amazon so I'm assuming others have found they also need to replace this component. The dish is called the AV9-SL3-SWM 3 LNB. Thanks for any trouble-shooting hints.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Welcome newbie !

Some hints:
    1st - it's LNBF
    2nd - it's AU-9
    3rd - any spectrum analyzer will do the check; cheaper is DVB-S card/USB what is working with CrazyScan SW or BLSA PCI card.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You're mistaking the power inserter for a SWiM switch. The SWiM switching functionality is built entirely into the LNB assembly. The only way to test it is in place with everything hooked up.

If you've hooked everything up the way it is supposed to be and it doesn't work, your LNB assembly is likely fried.

4. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If we are talking about a SWiM LNB as the OP indicates, your testing suggestion is bogus. A conventional FTA receiver/card/dongle won't work with SWiM switchgear.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    In your 'bogus' hands as dish only customer - true; but for other one - it can be done.

6. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    How do you make an FTA adapter work with a SWiM LNB in such a way that the LNB assembly's functionality can be fully tested?

I submit that you're full of prunes.

7. edbarrows

edbarrows New Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Thanks for the inputs folks - you're right, it's AU9 and what I called the SWM is the power inserter. I did not know (and the girl at DirecTV did not know) that distinction. I'm ordering a new LNB(F) and the included SWiM switching functionality. Everything else was fried so I've no reason to suspect the LNB(F) was not fried as well.
    The lightning arrestor on the internet cable exploded. The white plastic insulation in the lightning arrestor on the cable up to the dish turned black so my guess is it did not entirely do it's job either. Just glad the place did not catch on fire.
    Thanks again for the feedback.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    To clueless "dude" (not OP) - do study SWiM protocol before come to technical discussion.

"FTA adapter"
    - huh ?

9. banditt76

banditt76 Godfather

Jul 17, 2012
    No need for the name calling here guys. Just correct him and move on. Keep this great site friendly please.

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The PCI or USB hosted satellite tuner that you use with the CrazyScan software.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It has own name - DVB-S/DVB-S2 PCI/PCIe/USB sat tuner card/box.

12. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    And surely model numbers as well. The question that remains is whether these devices are capable of cooperating with an SWiM LNB so that the functionality of the LNB can be fully tested (the goal of this exercise).

I remain convinced that the devices you mentioned are NOT useful diagnostic tools for SWiM LNBs.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You derailed the thread.

OP need simple check functioning of his LNBF - a spectrum analyzer would help him; would be it SA per se or sat tuner card/box capable to produces such spectrogram.
    If he need further info, he would ask by himself. Your executive is not based on real use DTV equipment or representing someone who need that checks.

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Don't feel bad, he's merely trolling the threads/forums here to see what he can stir up.

15. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    How about we quit discussing each other and get back to the topic at hand.

:backtotop

Mike

16. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I believe the answer is that the typical end-user cannot fully test the functionality of an SWiM LNB; with or without the dozens of dollars worth of equipment you recommended.

17. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    VOS, Can you answer the OP's question definitively?

18. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Sure", use an AIM.

19. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  20. Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski Mentor

Nov 17, 2011
    AIM meter will perform an EIV test on the lnbf. Meter is designed for swm and legacy troubleshooting on a directv system. Input your zip code, the type of lnbf, and where you are inserting the meter in the circuit and prepare to be amazed.