1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can I use a Dish Network Dish with DirecTV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TreyS, Aug 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TreyS

TreyS Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    Hello, I have a weird question, our company just aquired a new building and it has a Dish Network dish on the roof that goes to a multiplexer and then on to four rooms. No receivers were left behind.

We use DirecTV in all our buildings and I was wondering if I aim the Dish Network dish at the DirecTV sat in the sky and use a DirecTV receiver, will it work? is the LNB basically the same? If not can I just replace the LNB and use the same round dish?

Thanks!

Trey

2. TreyS

TreyS Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    The 2x4 multiplexer says it's a 41-2150 Hz (something like that). Will that work with DirecTV as well?

Thanks.....

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Honestly... I don't think so... it is possible...

But at a minimum you will have to replace the LNB assembly, and the multiswitch.

You might be best off just calling DirecTV and see if they will swap the dish with one of theirs.

4. untouchable

untouchable Legend

Jun 24, 2006
    You should be able to, a few years back you could take the label off of the Dish LNB and it said DirecTV underneath...that's back when I installed though.

5. TreyS

TreyS Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    Thanks guys!

6. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Look at the side of the LNB does it have the letters DP or DPP.If so the answer is
    NO!.

7. Frostwolf

Frostwolf Legend

May 9, 2006
    I have a quad legacy lnb on a dish 500, wil this work? or do I need just change the lnb?

Will the dish dish pick up any better than the regular directv dish?

8. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No, it won't work. Dish geometry is not correct to "see" the DirecTV satellites, and the LNB is not compatible.

9. Aug 2, 2007 #9 of 13
    directvfreak

directvfreak Godfather

Feb 1, 2006
    Where do people get "Multiplexer"? It is multiswitch. I have no idea where people come up with this word.

10. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Quad means it has the Switch built in and the Dishnetwork switch is not compatible with DirecTV.

Best thing is start over with a new install.

11. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    How did this old thread got resurrected.....

As stated above, Dishpro equipment (denoted with a DP) will not work with Directv.

And it won't work on all birds. Directv uses 101/110/119 on their triple lnb dish
    Dish uses 110 and 119 (129 as well if you have a Dish 1000, but that is a DP will not work). Thus you would be pointed at the wrong birds.

The Directv 110W position on SATC only picks up 3 transponders @ 110W - 28, 30 and 32. Special electronics in the Directv 110W lnb convert this down to transponder 8-10-12 and then it is reinserted into the 119W lnb where Directv only uses transponder over 21.

Dish does not do anything similar to that.

So as Tboneit recommended, just start over - if this is still an issue a year later.

12. Frostwolf

Frostwolf Legend

May 9, 2006
    I didn't want to start a new thread. And I don't have dishpro, I have legacy. Looking at jhon69's answer I wanted to double check.

Swapped out lnb, and dish, its working. Got a signal of 94-95 average without a meter, maybe I can get better, dunno.

13. Frostwolf

Frostwolf Legend

May 9, 2006
    In electronics, a multiplexer is a device that performs multiplexing: it selects one of many analog or digital data sources and outputs that source into a single channel.

Used in telecommunications. You asked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.