1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I use a Hughes HIRD-E11

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by gss1537, Sep 21, 2010.

1. gss1537

gss1537 Mentor

Aug 23, 2010
    I recently just had (2) HR24's installed and I remembered I had DirecTv about 8 years ago and still had a Hughes HIRD-E11 in the closet.

Can I use this receiver with my current setup?
    Would I run a RG6 cable from the Dish directly to the receiver or would I got through my splitter?

Would DirecTv charge me a monthly fee for this receiver?

This would make a perfect receiver for my Study so I hope it can be done.

Thanks

2. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    There's a couple of issues. One is the type of LNB is on your dish. If it is a Single Wire (Multiplexed) SWM that is running out of it and split to your HR24's than no, your unit is not compatible. You would need a D12 or D13 instead.

If you have a LNB with 4 wires running out of it to a WB68 multiswitch with 8 ports out, than you can run a cable to it - But I've seen reports that DTV isn't activating an increasing amount of old equipment.

You might just get a deal on a new plain receiver though, possibly even free.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Even if it works with your new dish, realize that this is a VERY old Receiver. It's Guide Data is limited and it can no longer receive all of DirecTV's SD channels. You might be able to get a modern SD Receiver for free. Check your DirecTV.com account or call them.

4. dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    what is the d13?

5. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Well this is where I ought to shut up because my only half knowledge of the system betrays me, but it was something I saw on a couple of SWM FAQ pages like here http://www.swm8.com/swm-faq.php

Me not knowing or caring much about SD receivers just assumed it was something that snuck out, but I am probably wrong.

6. gss1537

gss1537 Mentor

Aug 23, 2010
    if i get a newer SD receiver, would it be compatible with the type of Dish I have? I guess then I would get charged the $5/monthly fee, right?

7. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yes it's compatible. And if it's replacing an existing Receiver, then there's no additional monthly fee.

8. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    He would be charged the fee since the HIRD-E11 is in the closet and probably not active on the account.

9. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    There's no additional fee, though, if that Receiver is simply replacing another Receiver that will be removed from the account, right?

10. narcolept

narcolept Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    If they would activate the HIRD-E11, you'd be charged $5/mo for that, as well.

11. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Every receiver beyond the 1st one costs $5/month, so it doesnt matter whether its a new reciever or an old one.

12. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    In this case the other receiver isn't listed on the account though.

13. gss1537

gss1537 Mentor

Aug 23, 2010
    Correct- this receiver is not on the current account.

I figured I would have to pay them to get a new card sent out but I didn't know if there would be the monthly $5 charge.

I had another post about just splitting the output from my bedroom to this TV so that may be the best option to avoid paying the monthly fee since we don't use this 3rd TV very often.