1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i use my Directv after i cancelled?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by freshkid87, Jun 27, 2012.

1. freshkid87

freshkid87 New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I cancelled my directv and moved to dish, while awaiting for dish to come sunday is there any way i can use my directv hr20 to watch dvr or maybe OTA?

2. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    As long as you still have signal, I do not see why you cannot watch tv.

3. freshkid87

freshkid87 New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    it says the access card is not valid

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    You would have needed to disconnect from the satellite before they cancelled your account. Your card has already been deactivated, no way to watch anything now.

5. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    As far as tuning OTA through your HR20, I'm not certain.
    But as far as viewing Directv programming, you cannot. Your HR20 was receiving a signal when they deactivated the card, so it 'took the hit' from the system when they shut the account number down. If it had been unplugged and not receiving a signal at that exact moment, it could have lasted in some capacity for a week or two.

6. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Because he cancelled his account? You need a valid account to watch TV.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Even OTA through DirecTV equipment requires a valid card.

8. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Can you set a cancellation date? "Please cancel my service as of ..."? Or does it take effect immediately, regardless?

9. freshkid87

freshkid87 New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    so theres no way to just use the coaxial from the dish to plug into my tv and watch local channels? i need someting

10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    You need an OTA antenna -- rabbit ears, attic, roof...

11. freshkid87

freshkid87 New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    i have one but the coaxial broke on my rabbit ears antenna any way to fix it? and i have a samsung plasma

it shows
    AIR
    STD
    HRC
    IRC
    which one would i choose?

12. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    Air.

13. freshkid87

freshkid87 New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    how can i fix it? it just has the wire where the coaxial screw in would normally be

14. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    you have a very long weekend ahead of you....:lol:

15. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Doesn't your Samsung have an ota tuner in it?

16. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    Is there any way that the dish can act as an antenna? Or is there something special on an antenna that makes it receive a signal over the air?

17. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You can swap the LNB, and use the reflector as an FTA dish, but not OTA. The reflector isnt large enough to focus the frequencies used my OTA TV.

18. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    Antennas are designed for the frequencies they intend to get, so a vhf antenna is much larger than a uhf antenna etc... They are also made to be directional (like yagi) or omni (like dipole) directional. Now that is not to say you cant pickup air signals with an antenna that wasnt made for TV, you just wont the best results.

Using a dish as the antenna wont work well because basically all you are hooked to is the LNB and not the reflector itself.

To the OP if you just plug in a paperclip and hold onto it while programming the TV you will probably pickup most stations. You will have better chance of reception while holding the paperclip which is why I say hold while programming since the TV will ignore and not keep stations that are too weak. After it finds all the channels then you can experiment with an improvised connection like your rabbit ears. Strip apart the wire until you see the center conductor and insert it into the RF connector.