1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can I use the USB port to connect a wireless adapter?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SPACEMAKER, Nov 15, 2009.

1. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    The set up guiide calls for an ethernet adapter but I have noticed a USB port on the back of my HR20. I currently use a wireless N router.

Any help would be appreciated. Also lookiong for recomendations on adapters.

2. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    No, the USB ports are not active on the HR DVRS. You will need a wireless network adapter that connects directly to the ethernet port, like the WGA600N or similar. That is the one that can be conifugred directly via the HR menus. Others would need to be configured with a PC first then connected to the DVR.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Nope. You need a wireless ethernet adapter. The HR2x series is preconfigured to work with the LinkSys WET610N and WGA600N. Others will work, but you need to set them up via your computer first and then attach them to your receiver.

- Merg

Dang nabbit Battle! :)

4. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Thanks, guys. Of course, right after I posted this thread I noticed the WET610N thread. Typical of me, ask before looking.

5. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    I use the USB port on my HR22 to charge my wife's MP3 player......:)

6. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Yeah, it'll pass power (I have notebook cooling fans connected to both of my HR20's USB ports to cool the HR20's), but won't pass and information/data.

7. vbedford

vbedford AllStar

Jul 24, 2008
    They run that hot?

8. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    In a completely enclosed cabinet, it's not a bad idea to have some sort of ventilation. If they get too hot, they tend to act up... or it could lead to damage.

On a side note, I've used the USB port on the front of my HR21 to charge PS3 remotes overnight, so I don't have to leave the PS3 running. :)

9. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I have a -700 that had a fan die a while back.. I plugged in a usb fan so it stayed cool.. didn't want to loose my recordings for a new machine.. some day maybe ill actually swap it....

10. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I actually installed a couple of fans on my cabinet and use the HR20's USB ports to power them.

11. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I think the ports are active and will pass data. AM21 surely pass a lot of data through the USB ports on HR DVR's

12. Draconis

Draconis DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    We know that the USB ports are active, but the AM21 is the only device (we know of) that the receiver will actually communicate with.

Other than that, it's only good for charging USB devices. (I've charged my Zune on it in the past).