1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I watch recorded TV after suspending service

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by shumiron, Jun 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. shumiron

shumiron New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I have suspended my D-TV service for 6 months to determine if I can go without the service permanently in the future. D-TV has not actually stopped my service yet even though my online account indicates service has been suspended. My question is if when service finally is stopped will I be able to use the set top box to watch all the recorded shows I have on it? Anybody had experience with this?

2. MarkG21

MarkG21 AllStar

Jan 3, 2010
    Unplug the coaxial cable before the service is officially suspended.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    once the receiver gets the "deactivate" signal, the DVR becomes a boat anchor.

4. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Unplug the coaxial cable before the service is officially suspended.

see number #3

5. shumiron

shumiron New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Thank you for the heads up. I had a premonition that they might send a deactivate over the satellite so I did disconnect the coaxes from my receivers earlier today while I still had service. Now I see if OTA Win Media Center, Roku, and HTPC network video will take care of mine and wife's TV needs.

6. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Last fall, when my roof was replaced, I could only watch recordings for about 12 hours until my receiver yelled at me for not having the dish connected.

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Since the DVR wont get the "deactivate" signal from DirecTV, they have a "fail safe" built in. which is that they must get an "authorization" from the satellite "every now and then" this is an unknown and it ranges from a couple of days to a couple of months according to some folks. upon not getting the "authorization" from the mothership, the receiver will self deactivate