1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can internal drive be updated

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tmtech, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmtech

tmtech Cool Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Hi,

I've recently switched from the hr10-250 to DTV's DVR. I'd like to know if I can replace the internal drive with a larger disk rather than go the external route.

Thanks!
    Tom

2. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    It can be done, but it violates the terms of use.
    That being said, from what I've read (not done) the hardest part is getting access to the hard drive. Some HR boxes apparently have "tamperproof" torx screws which require a special driver.
    Once replaced, the dvr formats the drive and you are set to go with more storage.
    There have been many discussions regarding "violating" the contract, with some saying you will get charged hundreds of $ if you send back a modified unit to others who speculate that D* wouldn't really care. The advice given is that if you have to return a modified unit, replace the original hard drive before you do it.
    Some units have stickers over the seams to show if a unit has been opened.
    I just recently added an external 1 Tb hard drive (in an Antec MX-1 box) and the process was extremely easy. This would be my recommendation.

3. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Do you own the HD DVR? If so yes, you can do what you want, but if you are on lease like 99% of us are, then the short answer is that tampering with the unit has the potential to cost you money down the road.

Now you will get a bunch of people who will chime in here and argue legalities, contracts, user agreements and lots of other BS.

Ignore all that... if you are willing to take the risk to open the unit and replace the drive, knowing that should you ever need to return the unit and DirecTV detects the tampering they will lay a big charge on you, then go ahead... personally it is not worth the hassle. Do one of two things... get an eSATA drive and hook it externally or simply get a second dvr.

Ok, now stand back because they will commence about 100 pages of arguements... that will have null meaning unless you are willing to go to the mattresses with DirecTV should they decide to pursue the matter. Life is too short.

4. Deja-vue

Deja-vue New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    The "tamperproof" torx Tool is available at your local Harbor Freight Tool Store.
    Just keep the original Drive "just in case" you have to return the Unit.
    I waited until my Units were out of warranty and installed Terabyte Drives.
    The Western Digital "green Drives" are extremely quiet and cool during operation.
    just my 2 cents.

5. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    My advise would be to ignore the above very misleading advise, then do a search of these and other forums to see if you can find any evidence of DirecTV ever charging any customer anything after they returned their DVR in working order with the original disk inside it. In addition, I would advise that you read the lease agreement yourself... specifically looking for anything that says that you can or will be charged any dollar amount for anything other than for failing to return the DVR [presumably in working order].

After you have done the above, you are then ready to consider what actions on your part may or may not be a violation of the lease, and what consequences you likely will or won't suffer if you you do something that the lease agreement may say that you are prohibited from doing.

This is not advise about what does or doesn't violate the lease agreement. It is only advice that you get the facts and then make an informed decision for yourself.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    OK,asked and answered.

I want to make it clear I'm not closing this thread because you're not allowed to replace your hard drive. If you have the legal right to do so, check out this thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=148760 for instructions.

However, we already have one thread for the ongoing argument as to whether changing your hard drive out is going to be a problem. Here it is: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=165552

In the future, please direct your fellow members to that thread if they feel it necessary to start this discussion over again.

This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.