1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can it be this simple?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bobbin, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1 of 19
    bobbin

bobbin New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Bedford...
    Being a long time user of DTV I have evolved a rather complex installation that uniquely serves our needs. We have four DVRs serving three HD TV displays, each with a surround sound audio system. One in the Red Room where the most of our day to day viewing occurs, another in the brown bed room where when one of us is bed ridden, we can still view our collection and finally the pool room where our many visitors can choose their own entertainment.

Couple that with the frustration of obtaining reliable internet access this far out in the county. It is over three miles to the nearest cable circuit and over six miles to the nearest telephone switch. The nearest LTE cell tower that will cover us is over five miles away.

Early last year the folks at Via-Sat launched their new bird and began to offer high speed internet to the rest of us. If you visit their forum it will become clear. Use satellite internet if you absolutely can't do it any other way. That's me.

Having DTV is just great. Almost everything we want to view can be stored on one of our four DVRs and watched when and where we want. Except. Living in the country means that when it rains or when a feed circuit is interrupted or when ones mouth is slightly askew, the latest version of one of our programs gets lost. Gosh, with high speed internet DTV can supply us the missed session in their VOD service. Except, one hour of HD tv video is about one Gb of internet and since the Exede product provides for 10 Gb of service a month and since our routine browsing, face paging and video blogging uses on average about 7 Gb per month, we can only recover about three such misses each month. Or I can set an alarm and get up at midnight to download it in the LNFZ. Not much chance of that!

Fast forward with me and find that in the real world, one cannot allow DTV unfettered access to such a limited internet resource. One month someone ordered three movies on VOD and left us in the DAP for three weeks. Another time it was a sports download (in HD) that sucked the internet dry. Another was a big download on an iPhone of several videos for later viewing. Living in the DAP is a serious restriction. Not fun.

My solution was to cut the power to the CCK except during the LNFZ. Means the DTV part of the internet distribution is only turned on during the hours of midnight to 5AM when the internet usage doesn't "count". (I used a simple digital clock controlled switch to turn off the 110 VAC wall wart during the rest of the day.) The big question was, How will DTV react when the internet is not available? (regarding big downloads on the guest network, I really don't have an answer yet. Any ideas will be considered.)

So far, the reaction is relativly simple. When we queue a VOD it shows up the next day as having been downloaded after midnight. The only downside so far, is that the playback cannot be fast forwarded during playback. I don't know if that's the result of the timed wall wart or ?? It can be placed on hold and restarted as if it were on the disk from a normal DTV download. Main thing is that the Exede usage has not been increased by this process while the router clearly shows that a jump in activity has occurred.

Can it really be that simple? I'll report again if I see any other problems.

Or, just go fishing!

Thanks for reading,

Bobbin

2. Aug 6, 2013 #2 of 19
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I believe fast forward is disabled, at least for certain providers DirecTV as a company certainly doesn't care, they get the data they want from the phone line or when the Internet connection is available.

But you're right, satellite Internet is a good option for your situation. It's great that they have that period, also good for downloading your various software and OS updates.

3. Aug 6, 2013 #3 of 19
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    no worry about disconnected Internet from your DVRs, it's optional connection - some functionality depend on it, but again these are optional features

1 person likes this.
  4. Aug 6, 2013 #4 of 19
    peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I would assume that your VOD library might not get updated properly since is not connected 24/7 to the "interwebs"

5. Aug 7, 2013 #5 of 19
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Not to worry!

Sounds like the same plan I thought of when I moved to the country (but DAP? drawing a blank on the term).

Some VOD restricts FF, some doesn't. (It turns out I can get by with U-verse ADSL.)

You've got a good plan.

6. Aug 7, 2013 #6 of 19
    bobbin

bobbin New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Bedford...
    Thanks,

It just seems to keep working and I have to assume that most of the internet features really work when the internet is connected.

DAP (Data Allowance Policy) is the longest paragraph in the Exede T and C. When you're dapped you get internet at a very (VERY) slow rate, except during the LNFZ. The DVRs can still get their on demand down loads but you take forever during the day to see a weather map or read your Email.

This arrangement means I don't get to use the internet apps (without sleepwalking) but the VOD library seems to be building OK with only the 5 hours of connection.

Like I said, we really don't use it except to compensate for a missed window in our regular schedule due to weather outage. Since the main first run box is a HR-24, it is the one that gets the LNFZ treat on occasion. I've not tried it on the HR-44 or either of the other DVRs, I just assume it would work. It may be coincidence, but the latest DTV SW updates seem to be happening over the internet, even though the phone line is connected to each DVR.

Thanks for the all the info.

I just use thought it was mighty kind of the DVRs to live in a world of limited internet connection.

Thanks for reading and responding,

Bobbin

7. Aug 7, 2013 #7 of 19
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The software updates don't come through the phone line or Internet, it's over the satellite. Things like the posters are Internet based I believe.

8. Aug 7, 2013 #8 of 19
    bobbin

bobbin New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Bedford...
    Mr. Peters,

I guess the old requirement that a DVR be connected to a wire line telephone has been eclipsed by the phone companies desire to depart this market. (wire line phone) Out here in the country a wire line telephone has become less dependable as the phone company removed the battery back up to help us justify going all wireless. They seem to think that we won't find out just how useless cellular will be in a real emergency when every one is trying to call at the same time. My efforts will continue to be in support of requiring battery backed wireline service as the original certificate of convenience provided that established their monopoly. DTVs recognition that their service future is in providing service to smart phones and tablets not withstanding, they've almost given in to those who would use one account to serve multiple locations. I keep 3G, LTE and hard wire phones here (and a wireless network extender) and still have periods of no service due to a combination of weather and power outage.

Thanks for the info on updates. I seem to recall that their original zeal in trying to keep up with the customers location had stated that DVRs had to be hard wire connected if we were to buy movies or some such. I guess I connected the wrong dots thinking that updates would only come on the hard line or the internet.

What is your reference to "posters" about, please?

Again, thank you to all who have read and to those who have responded. I lurk this site regularly and have obtained many good facts here.

Best regards to all,

Bobbin

(you know, what that little plastic floater does that keeps your worm from sinking.)

9. Aug 7, 2013 #9 of 19
    peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    "posters" refers to the artwork that you see when browsing your guide

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Cool, bobbin! Phones probably will be scorfledated in a real emergency, both cell and land line. I was under the impression that the artwork, posters what not came via satellite.

As an aside, I thought a bobbin was something in a sewing machine, and a bobber was what we used when fishing for some types of fish....

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    FW, 'posters', icons, HTTP, etc coming from satellite, one satellite 101W
    if you interesting in keeping your boxes' latest SW/FW, check the site www.redh.com/dtv

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Though of note, the FW watcher site is down right now due to an accidental fiber cable cut to the server's locale as Doug Brott states;

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/206467-genie-0x0725-issuesdiscussion/?p=3166594

13. bobbin

bobbin New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Bedford...
    Well, I've been Bobbin for many years. It's actually what the bobber does when one is using live bait to fish. In my devotion to all types of fishing I propose that bobbin is an adequate term to describe that activity even when one is on the fun end of a fly cast rig or spin casting rubber worms. Further there is no real geographic limitation to bobbin, from the South Pacific to Alaska's offshore fishery, it's fine.

Thanks for reading and for the fine suggestions.

Just Bobbin

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    @bobbin:

Another thing you can try is to set access times for your receivers on your router. Most routers will allow you to set up Access Restrictions via IP address or MAC address. You could set it up so the receivers cannot access the Internet except during certain hours.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

15. bobbin

bobbin New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Bedford...
    Merg

That idea has real merit. I got a new router with that in mind but was never happy with the upgrade process for router firmware to open up that capability. In the end I experimented with simply turning off the CCK and when it seemed that was an answer, just automated the on/off. Just another KISS approach. Now when I want one of the DTV computer apps to work I just move the wall wart from the clock to a hot outlet. Hopefully I'll remember to put it back when I'm done.

Thank you for your insight and for your response.

Now I would really like a router that enabled one to throttle the guest account rate or download size, but that's another deal all together. (I've seen the component count climb to 20 or 25 devices after one of our get together parties)

The cellular extender device "femto cell" has been a real winner as before it, our guests would report loss of cell service on turning off of the main road. Upside is that I don't see excessive usage on the ISP, even with 2 or 3 simultaneous calls in process.

Bobbin

16. bobbin

bobbin New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Bedford...
    The years have continued and times they are a'changing. Who would've thought about the AT&T / DTV merger? Via Sat has pinned all it's future on a new satellite launch (2016? if only) and have implemented many new restrictions into the "Accelenet system" (load control through management of the DNS server AKA anti net neutrality). Upshot is that my kludge for no sleep walking internet access for DTV no longer functions. The unfettered access to DTV's download server farm has disappeared from the Exede arsenal. My clock no longer ticks. Any one know an IP I can ping via Exede to show that this particular service is no longer available?

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

This is just speculation, it may be that the AT&T merger has really broken the DTV site or perhaps another conspiracy has emerged involving hackers or my kludge circuit has a bad connector or ?????

Any ideas?

Just, Bobbin

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    We haven't seen D15 yet. It's up there but not in production yet.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

18. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    It sounds like they may be trying to stop people from using in on demand streaming. Can you turn on your internet for the recovers and hit the dash key while on live tv? It'll tell you if it can detect internet at all and connect. Not necessarily with on demand but with DIRECTV.

19. bobbin

bobbin New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Bedford...
    Thanks for the encouragement. I rechecked the cables and found a connector from the 90's. Cut it and installed a modern connector. Trouble all gone. No conspiracy or Exede hijinks. My past failure as a DTV installer has been exposed. (again) Hope you all have a nice day. Thanks for reading and responding. Now I can sleep during LNFZ and expect DTV to fill my on demand orders again. HOORAH

Bobbin, on the lake in central Virginia forest where the deer, snakes and large mouth bass play.

:blackeye: