1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can old equipment be activated without a contract?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by brewster2010, Oct 22, 2010.

1. brewster2010

brewster2010 New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Hi,

I used to be a Direct TV subscriber (cancelled in 2006). I have old used equipment in my house. I am part of the Cablevision/Fox mess and really want to see the games this weekend. I hooked up the receiver and my program guide does load so the dish appears to be working and receiving a signal.

Will DTV offer a reinstatement (understand I will pay full price for the plan) without a 2 year contract? Is there anyway around this policy.

Have thought long and hard about getting D again but always had rain fade probelms, antenna is on highest part of roof (always worried if D* went out in the middle of the Winter. Loved the service but with the negatives can't see myself committing for 2 years). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Things have changed quite a bit since the dark days of the end of '06. I don't have rain fade problems except when a nasty weather cell is on top of my house and that's really infrequent and usually for a short duration. The rest of the service is better than the services of the rest of the providers. Or I wouldn't be with D*. I think you will still have to suffer thru the 2 year commitment, but it goes by quickly. The various departments are better than they were in '06 and the equipment is better. You should have an enjoyable experience. Take the chance, it's worth it.

Rich

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Only DIRECTV can tell you how they will treat you. Someone elsewhere suggested that there is a way you can pay an activation fee of $50 and get around the commitment.

A new security card may be required.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Might have to buy a new access card for each DVR, might not. You're right, best to call D* and see what they say.

Rich

5. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    They may consider you a current customer if you "re-up". Normally, activating owned equipment by a current customer doesn't have a commitment attached, but this isn't exactly the normal situation! Like others have said, it's best to call and ask.

6. Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5 Legend

Oct 20, 2010
    your account was disconnected for more than two years so you will be treated like a new customer. Once your account is activated they should be able to reactivate your old receivers if they are compatible with your installation...