1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Poor picture quality be attributed to an UNGROUNDED DISH?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mn_shamrock_shake, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mn_shamrock_shake

mn_shamrock_shake New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    1st time poster. Have been struggling with picture quality since the change to the 5LNB dish and HR20. Tech had been out to "reallign" and check the dish ground but never checked the ground. Looked myself and see there is no gounding on my dish.

Directv is telling me I need to pay a service charge to have a tech come out and ground my dish.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

This board rocks.
    Patrick

2. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    It is VERY unlikely that a non-Grounded dish would cause poor pq...unless you mean something like floating noise bars that progress slowly up or down the screen, which could indicate a ground loop (or other power supply problems with the TV itself)

You should have a safety ground on that dish. The installer should have done it, so you should not have to pay for them to come back out and do it right.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    You need to check you signal strengths on all transponders to see if some thing isn't quite right. The values should be mid 80s and up.

4. mn_shamrock_shake

mn_shamrock_shake New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'll like this system yet!

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Man, I read this thread title as underground dish, which, of course, certainly would cause poor picture quality. :lol:

6. Slyster

Slyster Icon

May 17, 2005
    VERY important to ground the dish! My brothers HR20 was fried during a thunderstorm.. and they didn't even get hit by lightning.. it was just the static in the air.

7. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    LOL for me when the multiswitch is ungrounded I have better PQ. I am also very cautious in grounding it well in advance of storms.

This is just temporary until I get a more permanent ground that doesn't interfere with my reception.

8. aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007
    the grounding issue is getting funnier and funnier ..... I would venture to guess that the state of the world will soon be blamed on grounding issues along with the price of oil

9. flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Floating bars like you describe are not really possibly anymore, this is a digital system. Any kind of interference will show as picture breakup or nothing.

It is all but impossible for not grounding the dish to be visible on the screen in any fashion, including complete loss of picture.

But I would recommend grounding your dish anyway.

10. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    Then I doubt, he or she is grounding it at all as required by the legal requirements. I had to ground my own AT-9 with the free install. I grounded it myself per NEC guidelines, heck if the installer wanted me to install the AT-9 myself I would have, all they needed to do is supply the AT-9 and the RG-6 cables with correct footage. The free installers also don't work very hard at alignment if it's a free install and not paid by you.

Grounding shouldn't have any performance issues with your DirecTV. I have had both DirecTV and Dish network, and neither grounded, when I still had Dish, the picture was fine without grounding.

I don't believe grounding improves picture or performance in anyway.

11. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Hi Patrick:

I highly doubt that would cause PQ issues, although the dish should be grounded. Per the agreement with D*, if they do the installation (or through a subcontractor), they are required to install and ground the dish per NEC (National Electric Code) requirements. This line is taken directly from the "Professional Installation" guidelines. Read the paperwork the installer made you sign when he was 'completed' with the install.

If the installer did NOT ground the dish, contact D* promptly and tell them they need to return to properly ground the dish per their own agreement with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.