1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone explain: 90 minutes review buffer while box in standby

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jerkieman, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerkieman

jerkieman AllStar

Oct 19, 2006
    So this means If I turn the box off at 9pm on NBC, when I turn it back on at 10pm, I can rewind till 9pm ? This 90 min review buffer is only for the channel you left the HR20 on, not all channels ?

2. DishDog

DishDog ke6cdn

Nov 10, 2006
    San Diego Area
    Yes the channel it was on when it was put on Standby provided there were no intervening recordings scheduled.

3. cruxer

cruxer Mentor

Nov 11, 2006
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure this has worked for a while. At least I seem to remember turning the box on out of standby and immediately being able to rewind the current channel. Then again, you know what they say about alcohol and brain cells....

--Cross

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    It wasn't working on some boxes so now they fixed it to work for everyone.

5. Drewg5

Drewg5 Icon

Dec 15, 2006
    St. Louis
    It has NEVER worked on my system, still doesnt

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    So right now...

If you put the unit in Standby... you get NO buffering of the last channel you where on.

Do you get buffering at all?

7. cbaker

cbaker Icon

Dec 20, 2006
    What sotware version are you running? Have you tried this in the past few days?

8. stretch

stretch New Member

Dec 8, 2006
    I'm running 0x120. It does not buffer while on standby. I normally put the HR20 on standby when not watching tv. This weekend I got home late from church and missed the first half hour of the Lakers-Cavs game. My HR20 was on KABC 7. It did not buffer the game. The buffer started when the box was powered on.

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Mine is buffering in standby, and further, as long as there is only one recording (not two) scheduled, it continued to buffer the channel it was on when placed into standby while recording the other channel. This appears to be working now exactly as it should be.

I did have one instance of it not buffering in standby, but I am now unable to reproduce that. Perhaps if multiple recordings occur when in standby (requiring both tuners to be used) it might not buffer following channel changes to support that, I haven't tried that yet.

Carl

10. SFS97

SFS97 Legend

Sep 12, 2006
    You shouldn't be, 0x12A is the national release at this time. Maybe you should double check..

11. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    why would you leave the HR20 on channel 7,when te game was in HD on channel 87? whats the point in having an HD receiver if your not going to watch a program when it's available in HD? SORRY for asking but my wife does this a lot!, i'll go to the bedroom and she'll be watching ugly betty on the standard channel 7 instead of the HD channel 87 ARRRGH!!!, just drives me crazy that we spent all this money on an hdtv and hd -tivo, and she doesn't bother watching the program in HD.

12. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, ditto:confused:

Must be genetic or something:sure:

Carl

13. danco

danco Cool Member

Jan 19, 2007
    I hate stereotypes, but every person I have seen watching SD when HD is available (including setting-up Season Passes or Series Links) is a woman. I have never seen a guy do this.

I don't think (most) women can tell the difference between SD and HD...

~Dan

14. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    This buffer in standby seems to be intermittent for me. For example, this morning, the box was put into standby by my wife. (I have explained that I would rather her *just* turn the TV off, but the RC34 is right there, and the button says OFF, so she pushes it, hard to blame her.)
    Anyway, this morning, the box was put into standby on a local OTA. This afternoon at about 4:20pm, I turned the box back "on" and the local news (started at 4p) was on, as it should be. I wanted to back up to see the weather, and no buffer, at least none past the minute that had elapsed since I brought the box out of standby. More over, The time bar was displaying the 1pm to 2pm hour and the show title Days of Our Lives. The green bar was there, and the box was in fact buffering the local news. Channel change and all was normal. There were NO recordings scheduled during this time, and the History list confirms this. Strange. I have had multiple instances (since 12a) of the buffer/standby behaving erratically. This seems to be well documented in the issues thread, so I put it here.

15. geoliquid

geoliquid Mentor

Aug 22, 2006
    mpeg4 locals come in on channel 7. With my setup I have three channel 7s, 7 in hd, 7 in sd, 7-1 in hd-ota.

16. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    You are right, in general. I don't think it's that they can't tell the difference, it's that most don't care. They care more about is Johnny sleeping with Trish this week or is it Beth. :rolleyes:

However, I am lucky in that my wife cringes whenever something is on in SD. First thing she asks is why it's not in HD. I knew there was a reason I married her!

17. stretch

stretch New Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Channel 7 in Los Angeles is Directv's local MPEG-4 HD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.