1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone explain this install to me?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mynameisjason, Aug 13, 2013.

1. mynameisjason

mynameisjason Cool Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Had a install done last night. Added another DVR and had to go from a SWM 8 to a SWM 16. I have no problem with this set-up. Everything works, and the installer asked me before he was done if I wanted the cabling shorted up any. To me it is fine.

But why did he use the 8 along with the 16? Is this normal? Curious more than anything. Pardon my dirty patio.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    That's fine. He used an 8-way splitter (I am assuming this was already there?) in addition to the two-way splitter. Personally I would have used a 4-way splitter and ran a dedicated line up to the SWM-Power connector, but that's just me.

And your patio is much neater than mine! :D

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    That's not a SWiM 8. That's a splitter. Other then that ,he could of use a 4-way splitter. But even with an 8-way splitter, it looks like a well done job.

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Was the 8-way splitter already there? If so, he probably left it alone to just put it on one side of the 16 output.

I've been present at 3 recent installs of friends and family and the installers didn't have any 4 ways. Not a problem with short cable lengths.

5. mynameisjason

mynameisjason Cool Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Oops...I thought that the splitter was a SWM 8. Sorry.

Yes, the splitter was from the original install in December 2011.

6. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I'm betting that you didn't have a SWM-8 with your original install. You probably had a SWM LNB, on your dish, that ran directly to the 8-way splitter. If so, the installer would have replaced the SWM LNB with a non-SWM LNB and ran the three additional cables, that he had to add, along with the original cable that ran to the splitter, into the new SWM-16. He then ran one output of the SWM-16 to the 8 way splitter. I have no idea why he installed the 2-way splitter for the other cable.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I I have no idea why he installed the 2-way splitter for the other cable.
    yup, wonder the same myself

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

8. Vin

Vin Legend

Mar 29, 2004
    I believe the TS added a fifth DVR, hence the reason for replacing the SWM LNB with the SWM16 in the first place. The fact that it looks like there are only three outputs being used from the 8-way is what threw you and peds48 but if you look closely you'll see the 4th cable.

9. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I understand why he went to a SWM-16. What doesn't make sense it that the SWM2 output goes to a 2-way splitter, where only one of the outputs active and the other output is terminated (the splitter right above the SWM-16). This 2-way splitter doesn't do anything other then decrease the signal strength of the SWM2 output.

10. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    For the flexibility to add another receiver down the line?

11. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I thought of that. But then came to the conclusion that the hardest part about adding a new receiver, in the pictured system, would be running a new cable into the house and to the new receiver. Adding a 2 way splitter and a jumper would be the easy part.

12. Vin

Vin Legend

Mar 29, 2004
    Ahhh, I thought you were questioning why the SWM2 output was being used at all, assuming you thought only 6 tuners were being fed from the SWM1 output. Now I see your point. :grin:

13. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    For the flexibility to add another receiver down the line?
    even if that was the case, I would add the splitter an THAT point then.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk