1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone please 'splain this to me?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Halfsek, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halfsek

Halfsek Hall Of Fame

Oct 29, 2002
    Okay, so there is this Reuters article about the world's oldest woman.
    I already have an issue with Reuters anyway, but that's a side note.

It starts off just fine:
    Fine and dandy.

But take a look at what's next:
    Bolds are mine, of course.

Huh? What? This lady was born in Holland. She still lives in Holland. What in the hell does anything the US did 115 years ago have to do with her birth? Did nothing else happen in 1890? Maybe something a little closer to her home.

I don't want to jump to conclusions here, but I think it's safe to say that Reuters may have an issue with the US.

Here's a link to the terrorist loving, US hating Reuters story.

I'm sorry, did I actually type that out?

2. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    King William III of the Netherlands dies without a male heir and a special law is passed to allow his daughter Princess Wilhelmina to become Queen.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_III_of_the_Netherlands

There, is that a more appropriate punctuation for the story?

According to this, 1890 WAS a pretty slow news year. And what has become known as the "Wounded Knee Massacre" probably IS the most noteworthy and historically memorable landmark of 1890.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1890

I think you're reading a little more into this than is there. Unless you consider " Britain receives Zanzibar from Germany in exchange of Heligoland" as a more seminal event.:grin:

3. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Amazing. When I first read this I broke out laughing. It really is indeed sad though. What would you expect from Reuters though?

4. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    If we actually needed some little tidbit for time reference, why that? How about "back when so and so was president" (sorry, history is not my thing, and I don't have time to look it up) or maybe "back when life expectancy for women was ##".

Surely something would have been more appropriate than a reference to a massacre? :eek2: How could anybody not see this as inappropriate? :shrug:

5. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    I don't see anything sinister in the reference. Reuters is simply putting a U.S. timetable perspective on the date of her birth for its American audience.

6. Halfsek

Halfsek Hall Of Fame

Oct 29, 2002
    Well, as JBKing suggested, how about a president?
    The fact that they actually used the word 'massacre' regarding our military, especially at this time, is somewhat questionable.

7. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    Benjamin Harrison, 1889-1993, doesn't specify the particular year they were shooting for...

8. Halfsek

Halfsek Hall Of Fame

Oct 29, 2002
    Or how about, "...was born just 25 years after the end of the US Civil war."
    That would give an excellent time frame.

Of course, if Reuters was writing it, would add, "where the US military massacred over 100,000 of it's own citizens."

9. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    See!!!!! That's what I'm going on about!!!!!!!! Why did you have to say 'shooting'????!?!?!?!?! !rolling

;)

10. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Why does it need to be put into a perspective timeline in the first place? 115 years is 115 years. Mentioning the 'massacre' is about as useful as saying, "Hendrikje van Andel-Schipper, a former needlework teacher, was born in 1890, 109 years before Al Gore invented this thing called the internet. Or me saying I was born in 1985, four days before Coke 2 came out. 20 years is 20 years. It’s an unnecessary jab at the US and some more sewage spewed by the RotorReuters.

11. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    Maybe they used the word "massacre" because it is now universally recognized as a MASSACRE! Skittish troops opened fire on an Indian encampment probably killing many of their own comrades in friendly crossfire and many times more Lakota men, women and children in the process. This was NOT a hostile group. They had negotiated and were in the process of voluntarily disarming when the incident took place. Of course many did not recognize it as a massacre at the time. Twenty Congressional Medals of Honor were presented for the action.:nono: And apparently even now, many refuse to admit there wasn't any WMDs, er, was a massacre.:sure:

This also marked the end of the "Indian wars", and as such is certainly a more memorable and historically significant event then the Presidency of Benjamin Harrison. Most people, if asked, couldn't tell you when Truman was President. That is if they can even identify him AS a former President.

Once again for many of you, methinks ye all doth protest too much!"

12. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    It's what I think of when I hear about the year 1890. What's the problem?

13. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    But does anyone think about it (or should be thinking about it) when discussing the world's oldest woman?

OK, I'm reading the paper....hmmm... something about the world's oldest woman and what she attributes to her longevity....hmmmm.... you know, I wonder if she was born about the time the US Government massacred all of the Sioux Indians at the Battle of Wounded Knee? :eek2:

Chief, I'm not glossing over history in anyway, so no offense.

Those two events have nothing in common!!!!!!!!!!!! :shrug:

14. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    I had reservations about putting it that way, but I wanted to see who was paying attention... :lol:

15. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    The problem is that it has absolutely NO relationship to the topic that was being discussed in the article. Obviously, the writer had a different agenda in mind when he wrote the article.

16. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Actually I think that he was trying to convey the impression that it was along time ago. That the world was a very different place then. Admittedly he could have mentioned who the US President was or who sat on the throne of Austria Hungary But he went for that. But since his point was that the world was different then he almost of necessity spoke of something with no connection to the modern era or her life.

And guys----I was at least half kidding. I hope that you know that.

17. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I think that you could actually be partly right there, but, I think the way that he did it was part of his other agenda. He could have simply stated that the year that she was born was the same year as the last of the battles between the white man and the native Americans. That still would have given the idea of the time without exploiting a dark period of American history. Then again, I belive this story was probably written for worldwide distribution, in which case he certainly picked the wrong topic.

18. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    So you're a mind reader now?

Suppose the writer was looking for something to put 1890 in context. The best alternative so far offered is "it was during the administration of Benjamin Harrison.":shrug:

We sure are touchy about even the implication of past wrongdoings by the US or its military, aren't we though!:mad:

I agree Wounded Knee is unrelated to the story of this woman, EXCEPT it was the one memorable event in what appears to otherwise be a very forgetable, UNeventful year.

19. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Speaking of half-kidding, I once met a woman in a bar who, after several rounds and much conversation, revealed to me that she was "half witch". :eek2: I asked her which half? :confused: She gave me a look, :nono2: got up and started to leave. I said to her "I was half-kidding." :p She kept on walking...

True story. Now, back to your regularly scheduled topic. :backtotop

20. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I don't need to be a mind reader. It's Reuters. That's all I need to know.

Is that anything like a sand witch?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.