1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can the GenieGo work in reverse?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by rbpeirce, May 4, 2014.

1. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    Assume you have gotten some content from a DVR to your computer using GenieGo. Can you use GenieGo to get content from the computer to a DVR?

A big DVR problem has been failure and loss of saved content. Nothing I have read yet suggests GenieGo is a way around this but maybe nobody ever asked.

As I understand it, content saved to your computer is good for 30 days, although I do not understand how that works. If you had some way of setting up something like Apple's TimeMachine you might be able to maintain current content on your computer. If the DVR failed and you could go the other way you could restore it.

Is that possible? If not, is there any way to keep it from being deleted?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    GenieGo is only capable of transcoding from what's on a DVR hard drive to some lesser resolution for storage in its RAM. It cannot do the reverse.

The problem will only be resolved if DIRECTV decides to key recordings to the account and not the DVR that made them.

3. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I was afraid of that but hoping.