1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can the HR20 call home via Ethernet?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tivoenthused, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tivoenthused

Tivoenthused Mentor

Apr 6, 2007
    I am new to the HR20 (getting 2 boxes next week). Can the unit "call home" via Ethernet? Is it necessary for PPV, etc?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    No... it does not.

At least not for the PPV details

3. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    It can't on the ethernet, but you can run it without a phone line without any problems. You can still order PPV on the D* web site.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This has been asked before... as far as I know there would be nothing preventing it from using Ethernet but the system would have to be changed for that to happen, which might be a lot of cost for a small result.

5. SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy EOE DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2006
    Near San...

So, my -100 is connected to my LAN via ethernet -- the INFO menu shows both a network AND an internet connection.

So now what? What use of the internet will the -100 make? (I don't do music/picture sharing).

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    VOD is the next feature to use the network connection.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    ...and the source of much excitement here at DBSTalk!!!

8. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    And being that VOD will probably have the same titles that are PPV you won't need the phone line for them either so the ethernet connection will take care of that as well. At least that's the thought. I highly doubt a phone line will be required for VOD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.