1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can the HR20/HR21/HR22/HR23 stream H.264 or just MPEG2?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by JonW, Nov 16, 2009.

1. JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    My file server apparently isn't fast enough to decode and stream H.264 in real time using the likes of PlayOn PS3 Media Server, or TVersity, so, I was wondering if there were some tweaks I could make to the encoding of the video (change the profile, bit rate, etc) so that I could just play it back directly?

If not, it sure would be a nice feature.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The ONLY format currently supported for Media Share video playback is MPEG2-TS (transport stream). While the chipset built in the unit also supports decoding MPEG4/H.264 format, the software does not currently have any support for streaming media using that format, and no information on future support has been released.

3. thekochs

thekochs DirecTV 10yr+ Customer

Oct 7, 2006
    I'm sure you've seen but here is the How-To on Windows Media Share and how to put into TS file format. MPEG Streamclip does take in some MP4 formats....not sure what your H.264 file container is but you could use it to converst to MP2/TS format perhaps.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=148908