1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can U Get AM21 OTA TUNER From D*

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 63thk, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Nov 7, 2010 #1 of 17
    63thk

63thk AllStar

Feb 11, 2010
    Easten, NC
    Can you still purchase the AM21 OTA tuner direct from D*? I can't find it on the website and I'm finding a bit pricey online. Was wondering if it wound be cheaper from them. Also how does it compare to the OTA tuners on the E* VIP 722?

2. Nov 7, 2010 #2 of 17
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Logon to your account on the DirecTV web site, then on the first screen you get click on the "My Equipment" tab, then on the word "Accessories", the AM21 should be located there. Can't say how the AM21 compares to how well the ATSC tuners in Dish hardware works.

3. Nov 7, 2010 #3 of 17
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The AM21 is $50 if ordered from DirecTV.

- Merg

4. Nov 7, 2010 #4 of 17
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Also, if you added an AM21 to your "cart", it won't show up in the order list anymore, but you can find it in your cart, even months later.

5. Nov 7, 2010 #5 of 17
    mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I got my AM21 from ebay for about $30, but it took several months to find it that cheap. I don't know about the 722, but the OTA module in my 722k seems to perform about the same as the AM21. The biggest difference is you can't use both AM21 tuners and both Sat tuners at the same time like you can on the 722k.

6. Nov 8, 2010 #6 of 17
    kovach

kovach Mentor

Feb 22, 2010
    I ordered one just last week from DirecTV, $50 + sales tax, was at the house very quickly, like 2 days (or less).

7. Nov 8, 2010 #7 of 17
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I believe you need to have a receiver on your account that is AM21 capable before it will show up on the web page.

8. Nov 8, 2010 #8 of 17
    max1

max1 Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    Also a question on the AM 21 can you get the sub channels as well. I am missing the local weather channel we have i was wondering can you pick up the sub channels with an antenna as well with am 21. Max

9. Nov 8, 2010 #9 of 17
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Note, that the AM21 doesn't perform a scan, it uses a database supplied from Tribune Media Services.

As long as the sub channels are in the database then it will receive them.

10. max1

max1 Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    thanks jd but how do you know that the subchannels are in the data base. Problem is i live 30 miles from Omaha so i doubt i would get them. I know i can get them with the converter box but will wait for now. I can stream the weather station on line so that's what i think i will do for now.

11. wallybarthman

wallybarthman Godfather

Feb 4, 2009
    When you set up the AM21 you can enter two different markets. So I enter my local zip code for my Pittsburgh locals and then enter a zip code for Youngstown to pick up the Youngstown channels that I can receive as well.

In short, the AM21 will do what you're looking for as long as you've got equipment that can support it.

12. xceebeex

xceebeex Legend

Jun 17, 2010
    I am confused by this statement. Aren't you limited to what channels your antenna picks up not what zip code you enter in the AM21? Or are you saying that your antenna picks up more than just your locals and because you can enter two markets the AM21 can handle it?

13. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    When you set up the OTA tuner in the HR20 or AM21, it asks for 1 zip code (which would normally be your local market). You can also choose a secondary market and you enter a nearby zip code from within that market. The system does a search to find the names of those two markets and then knows what OTA channels, including subchannels, are available in that market.

For example, I am in the Harrisburg/Lancaster, PA market, so I first entered my own zip code. I am 90 miles west of Philly, so I also entered a Philly zip code as the secondary market and it automatically knows what digital OTA channels are available in both markets. You may not be able to receive all of the channels within the market zip codes you enter, but at least the tuner will know what to look for. The limitations of your OTA antenna system as well as the sensitivity of the tuner will affect what you can actually receive.

I am also about 60 miles north of Baltimore, so could theoretically enter all 3 markets (and could watch these 3 markets by either switching antennas or rotating them), but the HR20 and AM21 are limited to 2 markets.

14. max1

max1 Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    K thanks guys i understand now.

15. Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik Legend

Aug 4, 2005
    Also,in setup, you can select/deselect individual channels so they will/will not show up on your menu and will/will not tune with channel up/down (though you can try to tune in unselected channels by keying them directly with the number keys). All in all, it seems to work pretty well, just so long as the Tribune service is accurate and up-to-date. I've seen a few trivial lags there, when a channel slices its signal.

Stan

16. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Note that the search that it does is not the same as a scan. It uses the zipcode(s) to look up the channels in the Tribune Media Services database. You can go to Zap2It.com to see what is in that database.

17. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    There is another little-publicized feature the AM-21 offers that it didn't used to with previous software versions. If you have an R22 and purchase an AM-21, you will get all the channels it receives via antenna IN HD even if you don't have a slimline dish or subscribe to DirecTV HD!!