1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can view older content from HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by digfam, Sep 24, 2011.

1. digfam

digfam New Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Hello,
    Just upgraded to whole home and some more HD receivers.
    My HR-21 used to be my main DVR, it was connected to an external drive (terabyte). I kept HR-21 but put it in my BR (never had HD there). I put one of the new HR-24's in my main room now and connected to external drive. Seems like I am unable to play any content now on any of the whole home dvr's that is on the external drive. Any new content plays back fine everywhere from that drive.

Do I have to connect that external driv back to the HR-21 to access any of that content? Maybe HR-24 doesn't even need bigger drive, no idea how large that drive is..

thanks
    Bill

2. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    You can only playback recordings via the DVR on which they were recorded. If you move the drive back to the HR21 you will be able to playback the old recordings (and via MRV, on the TV in your main viewing room).

The HR24 has a 500GB drive.

3. digfam

digfam New Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Ok, thanks for the info. I put the external drive back with the HR-21. Works with the old content now.
    Guess makes more sense to have it with the DVR with the smallest internal drive. Not sure how the noisy HD will be at night.

thanks