1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can you access Directv DVR content on a disconnected device with a different Access Card

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by guest1, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Aug 8, 2014 #1 of 21
    guest1

guest1 New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    If someone has a deactivated owned directv DVR which you can still access and play the content, but needs to return the access card shortly can they continue to view content that is saved on it.

Is there anyway to view content by buying an old or defunct access card and putting it in?

I'm basically asking first is the permission to view content tied to the DVR or the Access Card.

Also whether putting in an OLD access card will allow you to access the content.

And lastly if the OLD access card turns the receiver on, will it reset the dvr and will I lose all the content.

2. Aug 8, 2014 #2 of 21
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    No.

On the last question, the content won't be lost, you simply can't access it without the DVR having an active access card in it.

3. Aug 8, 2014 #3 of 21
    carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You don't specify your DVR model, so assuming it is DirecTV branded (R15 or R16 for SD DVRs or HR2x series for HD DVRs), the recordings on the DVR are encrypted and tied to the access card. I'm pretty sure that is also true of the older R10 Tivo based DVR. You cannot play them without the specific access card that was used when they were recorded. Also, be aware that a DVR requires periodic "refresh" from DirecTV (via satellite), and once it does not get that, you will also not be able to view old recordings, regardless of access card. The time period seems to vary somewhat widely as to how long this might take.

4. Aug 9, 2014 #4 of 21
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If that were the case, everyone's recordings would disappear on a card change. Are you sure it isn't tied to the RID number?

5. Aug 9, 2014 #5 of 21
    carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Please cite any example of a DirecTV subscriber having to change an access card on a DVR they have that remains in service. While it might have happened it is extremely rare. I'm not even sure DirecTV would do that (they would probably just change out the entire DVR).

6. Aug 9, 2014 #6 of 21
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I hate doing this, but I have to agree with harsh on this one. ugggh. A few times DirecTV® had sent access card to customers when they call in with access card issues. Most of the times it turns out is the reader in the DVR, but the few times I have swapped access cards (sent by DirecTV®), the recordings are still intact. So the recordings must be tied to the RID.

7. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Okay, learned something new. Thanks.
    Carl

8. wjm

wjm New Member

Feb 3, 2014
    San Diego
    I have a Genie HD system at home and I have added a R16-300 standard definiton DVR to my account for my RV. I use the R16 at home in the RV without any problems. We are on our first long road trip since switching to Direct. I lost the Local Networks when we got about 400 miles away from San Diego. ( I foolishly thought Direct would switch our network access.) I am not happy but can live with it and use OTA.

We had Direct TV access (and DVR access) as recently as 24-48 hrs ago. We are now parked in the pines and can not get satellite access. I thought we would still be able to view our DVR recordings, WRONG. I can see the programs in the guide but cannot view them. Can I access my DVR without having a satelitte signal?

Sorry if I got off topic. I have answered many of my questions on this forum. Thanks for all your expertise.

Bill

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Welcome to the forum!

Sorry for your problem, but there is a wide range of answers for whether you can access the recordings. It seems for the newer units, such as yours, you have to have had satellite access within x hours. Somewhere between the 24 and 48 hours you've been out, apparently.

I'd try futzing with the List and ignore the pop up dialogs that may happen.

Good luck!

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No need to get frustrated over this, as none of those “features” are advertised by DirecTV®. No reason to expect a DVR to work in a manner that is not advertised.

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    What's not advertised about a DVR playing its recordings?

12. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    peds48 is saying that you shouldn't expect a dvr to work when it's been deactivated, but you already knew that, didn't you?

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Read, read my fellow basset, read, read. don’t just jump in in the pool fully dressed.

I pretty sure your Dish Network DVRs are made to work once deactivated and disconnected from the sat. NOT!

14. guest1

guest1 New Member

Aug 8, 2014

15. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I did read what you posted and agree with the idea that a deactivated DVR will be close to bricked, but I strongly disagree that DIRECTV's advertising, terms or product information would lead you to understand that the DVR won't work if it isn't active.

We've probably all seen someone howling because they're owned DVR and OTA dongle stopped working upon deactivation when they had convinced themselves, absent documentation to the contrary, that ongoing use was possible.

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Would you expect your cellphone to work if deactivated? Or your Credit Card? or your internet service? Why would you expect different with DirecTV®

Again

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

17. IknowAlittle

IknowAlittle New Member

Oct 12, 2015
    To make calls and send texts? NO. But to still have my photos and videos on it? Of course. If you deactivate your phone, do they delete or deny you access to the material you put on your phone when you were a paying customer? NOT! Do I have to take the baseball and gloves back to the store that I purchased when I was in good standing with my old credit card when I deactivate it? NOT! Do all the songs I paid for and downloaded on i tunes, or articles I've PDF'd or the stats from my slots game vanish when I deactivate my internet service? NOT! I paid for Showtime, HBO, Cinemax, The Discovery Channel and I bought and paid for my DVR and the service to run and record on it. But when I deactivated it, Directv stole it all away from me. The gloves went back, my photos, movies music all disappeared, and my computer went blank. Did Directv in any way make me aware of this? NOT! I was a customer for over 7 years, had a Genie, 3 other DVR's, and a lot of unwatched series, Movies, special events, and I paid for it all, and now its gone. Ya I.m the dummy and I just assumed it would be accessible, but who wouldn't?

1 person likes this.
  18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    OLD THREAD WARNING

When you talk about your photos and videos and your baseball glove you are talking about things you own. You do not own the content of your DVR. Your comparison to iTunes is closer ... but the terms of service on iTunes allows multiple devices and use beyond the lifetime of a device.

The difficult concept is licensing. When one subscribes to DirecTV one is not buying content in perpetuity. Perhaps it could be more clear that recordings cannot be played on a deactivated receiver or that content is lost at DVR failure. But any assumption that what you record is yours forever regardless of subscription status is a bad assumption.

19. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    thanks for picking up here, otherwise the words I had to say would of got me banned from the thread... Lol. Nice explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    This is definitely one of the ways a DVR is not like a VCR.

But the thing is, unless the equipment was truly owned (or non-recoverable), all of it has to go back to DirecTV anyway. The Genie would at least. All that is leased.

And I got my hopes up. At first I thought Harsh was back.