1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you combine 2 lnb signals on one cable they split apart at HR20?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mrfatboy, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    I have one RG6 cable running from the roof thru the house (originally wired at construction) and it comes up in an entertaiment center in the living room. There is no nice way of getting another cable there for 2 tuner support.

Is there a way to combine 2 lnb signals and have them travel on one coax and then split them back apart at the HR20 so I can have both tuners working?

If so, what equipment do i need?

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Nope. You need two cables for any DVR.

3. gitarzan

gitarzan Godfather

Dec 31, 2005
    My Dish network HD dual tuner vip=622 uses one wire and then a signal separator on the back of the DVR to do this. I have been thinking about swithcing to DirecTV and looked through the HR20 manual online and it sounded like you could if you had the right software upgrade. Did I misread that? I probably won't switch if I have to run another wire.

4. monetnj

monetnj Legend

Sep 28, 2004
    The HR20 supports FTM (Frequency Translation Module) which would allow 1 coax run to feed both satellite tuners. The OTA tuner already works this way. However, the FTM products have not been announced yet and it is unclear when this will happen. Earl (Bonovich) keeps saying soon.

5. mrfatboy

mrfatboy Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    isn't there something like a diplexer that would do this? I had a terk diplexer years ago. It combined OTA and LNBs on one coax.

6. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    In theory, OTA and 1 LNB could be diplexed together for now. As soon as the HD national channels are launched later this year, diplexing will likely be very difficult to accomplish.

FTM has a better chance of doing what you want and I'm hoping for very soon. But then I'm just hoping.

Cheers,
    Tom

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    For older, simpler, dishes there were single cable solutions that used stacking technology. You can use a stacker and destacker for a "dual" LNB (round 18" dish with a single lnb housing), and more expensive stacking technology for the 3-LNB oval dish. I'm not aware of any stacking technology that works with the 5-LNB dish.

As noted, FTM technology will support a single cable solution compatible with the new hi-def 5-LNB dish, but it is not yet released for sale/use. I am aware of test systems in use, which suggests that it might not be far off, but I don't know if even a tentative release date has yet been established.

Until then, it is still possible to install a new HD DVR using a single coax and only use one tuner. You won't have full capabilities, but it will work.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.