1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can you get a hopper without adding a joey?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Conway, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Conway

Conway Legend

Oct 29, 2002
    I have a vip 922 I want to upgrade to the hopper but I dont' want any joeys.. is it possible?

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    You need the Hopper as it has the tuners, Joeys are for adding additional tv's to the system. If you have one tv, you do not need any Joey's.

3. Conway

Conway Legend

Oct 29, 2002
    I have a few other tv's but I don't need the joey's on them.. I just want the hopper. A few reps tell me you can't get just a hopper you have to replace all of your other receivers with Joeys.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You cannot run a Hopper with any legacy Dish equipment.

5. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    If you replace with a Hopper, you cannot have any other type of receiver except a Joey. All your other tv's will not have any receiver to receive Dish's signal since they will be removed from your active account.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A few of the reps are right. For some reason DISH has decided that the "better way" is to change out entire households to Hopper/Joey instead of allowing a mix of Hopper/Joey and ViP or other equipment.

Personally I like the idea of having a separate receiver with its own tuners and recording capability as an OPTION. But it seems that the business rules are against this.

And the concept in the title of having a Hopper an no Joeys is appealing to me as well. The Hopper itself seems like a decent receiver without the "whole house" features. It will be better when it can record OTA. (Which is one reason why people might want to hang on to their ViP receivers.)

7. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    In other words, as with almost all new technology, wait several months before jumping. Let somebody else have the headaches and growing pains.

8. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Of those headaches and growing pains, the potential for an unusual number of hard drive failures.

9. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I just replaced my lone 722 with a lone hopper (no joeys). No problem.

10. n-spring

n-spring Legend

Mar 5, 2007
    I fail to see how the failure rate of an HDD inside the Hopper would be different from any other application, whether it be a DVR or computer.

11. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    It isn't, that's the point. The Hopper isn't using the same size hard drive as with previous DISH DVRs. And, the hard drive failure rate with large hard drives is based on observations used in computers, and a DVR is basically a type of computer.

12. fwampler

fwampler Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    It sounds like you are saying only small hard drives are dependable? Be nice to see some hard data supporting your theory on that one.

13. archer75

archer75 Godfather

Oct 13, 2006
    I have heard of people getting hoppers without joey's and I have heard of people being forced to get a joey with their hopper. There seems to be some inconsistentcies.
    Some people being forced to upgrade to higher end packages and others able to keep their lower end packages.

14. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    First off, I didn't add the spam link in my reply. I don't know where the spam link came from, but I didn't put the spam there, and I wish the spam was removed.

No, I'm not saying that the small hard drives are always dependable. I'm saying that larger hard drives are less dependable. Particularly ones that were made around the time of the flooding. The hard data can be seen from actual purchases wherever hard drives are sold.

Check out New egg, for example. Look at the unusually high failure and return rates. Then look at the replacements that also quickly died. I've read reviews where 10 drives were purchased and 90 percent have needed RMA over a short period of time. While any size and brand of hard drive can die, the larger hard drives (2TB and above) seem to have a higher failure rate than when compared to their smaller counterparts.

15. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Off topic, but I don't think that's spam, that's probably the Viglink stuff that DBSTalk is using to make a little extra money.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Yes, just call them.

17. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Thanks.

18. dbldaz

dbldaz New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    I contacted a CSR to replace my 722 with a Hopper. I was told that I had to pay the $4 a month Whole-Home DVR Fee even though I only I have 1 Hopper and no Joeys.

Has anyone been able to have this fee waived when only using 1 Hopper and no Joeys?

19. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    That would be nice, but I have not been able to do that either.

20. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    That is a new fee (Whole Home) associated with the Hopper, even though you may not have any Joeys. Thanks.