1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can you have 1 service for 2 homes 40 miles apart?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by mrbilldj16, Sep 12, 2013.

1. mrbilldj16

mrbilldj16 New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    I have 2 homes and we are back and forth. Curently we have Dish at 1 and Directv at the other. The 2 bill's are killing me. Is it possible to have just 1 and have it work at both homes at the same time with a DVR?

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    at the same time no. occasionally, maybe

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

3. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Yep, Buy all of your equipment, and turn service off and on as needed. There are other ways but are against TOS.

I have multiple accounts with Directv for my rental properties and vacation homes.
    I currently have 4 Directv accounts.

My one home I have HR20-700 and 2- H21s that I own. So I call up and in about 5 minutes they are all active again. Its a Minimum of 30 days service they do for me.

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    There used to be a type of a Snowbird plan for vacation homes, as long as both homes aren't occupied at the same time. I don't know if they still offer it, or how often you can switch from one to the other.

5. mrbilldj16

mrbilldj16 New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    We occupy both homes...1 is our Lake house and the other our work house. I'm being told by a directv rep at Best Buy that it's possible. he just does'nt sound convencing

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And you are wise to question what they are telling you.

7. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Go ahead and follow his advice when you get caught for account stacking either DISH or Directv will terminate service at both locations.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Depending on how often you are at the lake house, you can update the subscriber address each time you go from one house to the other. You would need take your receivers back and forth, too. If you go the account suspend route and keep two accounts, DirecTV allows you to suspend your account up to twice a year for up to 6 months.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

9. mrbilldj16

mrbilldj16 New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    We are at both homes during the week. They are saying it is like having a camper?

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Does it have wheels and meets the US DOT definition of a RV or commercial vehicle? Is it registered as an RV or commercial vehicle?

The rules are fairly clear for both satellite carriers. What your describing requires two accounts.

Perhaps you should call the cable company and see if they will let you have one account serve two homes 40 miles apart?

11. mrbilldj16

mrbilldj16 New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Will the sling box hopper from dish work work.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    With "TV Anywhere" you can stream your home content anywhere (within the limits of the ISPs at each end).

(The content would still be received and recorded at the one home on the account. Quality at the other home would be limited by the ISP connections.)

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    To use a TV with it, you would need something like the Netgear NeoTV that has the Slingplayer software. But it may be your best option.

14. mrbilldj16

mrbilldj16 New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    We have ipad3 and ipad 4. Perhaps using apple tv to throw it up on the TV. Wondering about quality of picture?

15. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Ipad's have that nice lil HDMI adapter at the Apple store. Feeds a nice image from the ipad up to the TV. Thus u could have an account at 1 location, and use the Dish Anywhere app on the ipad at the other. If u've got the Hopper, your set, otherwise you'll need the sling adapter to connect to your DVR (assuming your DVR is compatitble w/ the sling adapter).

16. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Just set the TV at the lake home in the back of your SUV, grill some brats, and enjoy watching the game.

Might want to have a small quantity of beer available too.

:coffee