1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you help me?!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by loudo2002, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loudo2002

loudo2002 Mentor

Aug 31, 2006
    OK here is my situation:

I have 2 receivers, an HR20 and an H20-600.
    Everything was fine on both until about a week ago, then on my H20 both of my OTA abc channels went out. (One regular ABC and One Weather abc)

It says searching for signal on my H20 but NOT my HR20.
    My HR20 gets 100% signal on those 2 channels OTA and my H20 gets Zero.

How can this be???

Ive tried unplugging, reseting, re-scanning, and pulling the antenna coax to the
    H20 box and those 2 channels still dont come in.
    All the OTA channels on both boxes come in fine except these 2 ONLY on the H20 box.

Does anyone have any clue why this is????????????????

Thanks

2. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    I noticed myself that with the newer software updates, the better the ability of my HR20 to pull in OTA signals. It didn't seem that when the HR20 first had OTA turned on with a software update, that pulling in OTA was good, but with the latest update it seems to be better, atleast on my units. If your using the same outside antenna for both of your receivers than that could be a factor. Not all receivers will perform the same for OTA if they are using the same antenna source by splitter. You don't need an antenna with an amplifier. Amplified antennas are awful with HR20's H20 units, I have tried non versus amplified, and non-amplified is better in my experience.

3. loudo2002

loudo2002 Mentor

Aug 31, 2006
    OK so i unplugged the booster and sure enough both of my ABC OTA channels came back on.
    Problem is, all of the other ones went away.

Is there any way around this?

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Sounds like you need a variable attenuator to find the "sweet spot" between all of your stations.
    Look up OTA postings by hasan as he has done a great deal of work on how to optimize the OTA for the HR-20.

5. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    Sounds like tuner overload on the abc channels with the amp on. Can he split the signal one more time to try and reach a happy meduim?

6. steelerfanmike

steelerfanmike Legend

Jun 18, 2007
    NJ/PA border
    I'm having problems too. Its the software!!! Why all of a sudden is everyone having problems. On one of my OTA channels I have no volume .to fix it I hit the yellow button.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Using a splitter with terminations on the other ports is one way to drop the signal [3 or 6 dB] and might work, or using the variable attenuator [cheap] to get some more range.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'd say VOS is right. It's been a while since I had to really tweak an OTA signal but that sounds good to me.

9. sylvanir

sylvanir Mentor

Sep 14, 2007

The yellow button just changes audio feeds, ie from english to spanish. This shouldn't be an issue on just one channel unless it's a problem with the OTA feed. Er, as far as I know at least.

10. steelerfanmike

steelerfanmike Legend

Jun 18, 2007
    NJ/PA border
    I know that. Its very weird it changes it from English 1 to English 2 DD then it works. Found this by accident.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.