1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Can you mount dish so weather not a problem?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by grunes, Feb 10, 2014.

1. grunes

grunes New Member

Nov 13, 2013
    College...
    We are considering changing from cable to Dish or DirectTV, to save money.

But one friend says that their satellite dish needs to be re-aligned after major storms, about once a month (in Maryland, near DC).

1. What fraction of sat dish customers have this problem? Please confine responses to those areas that sometimes have thunderstorms, but rarely have truly extreme weather.

2. Is there a an economically practical way to mount the dish so it isn't a problem? Method must not violate National Electric code. (I presume attic mounts loose too much signal strength?)

3. I see that they design motor-driven satellite dish antennas for RVs that self-align. How reliable are the various systems?

4. You could do the same thing electronically with an antenna array. Any comments on available systems?

5. What fraction of such customers have other weather problems - e.g., loss of signal in rain or snow?

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Your friend needs a better install, as that sort of thing shouldn't happen. Either it is mounted in an insecure location (on rotting underlayment on the roof, for instance) or needs some additional stabilization if it is very exposed to the wind. If he's getting aligned a monthly basis he should escalate his issue with Directv or Dish, as the case may be, and demand they send a more experienced installer out who can evaluate what the real problem is and fix it, rather than applying a band aid of realignment on a monthly basis.

I can't give you percentages for any of those, and I doubt anyone can, but there are many, myself included, who have had dishes up for years without needing realignment. There are occasional weather problems, nothing can prevent rain fade when the rain is heavy enough. In the DC area such heavy rain won't last long so it shouldn't be a big issue.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I didn't even need realignment after we had a windstorm that took out power to 90% of cincinnati. For snow, it is useful to have the dish easily accessible, but you can also use a super soaker and blast it away.

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I've lived in three houses with DIRECTV installed, and each one has been better than the other- mounting stronger, wires cleaner, overall neater. In my current house, I've not had any weather outages for the year I've been here. We get very strong winds here, not so much rain, though this last week, 3" over five days. No problem at all.

5. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    My DirecTV dish and my DISH dish have both survived 60+ MPH winds repeatedly in the last month alone, without needing realigned.

LOL, my DirecTV KaKu dish has 3 monopoles on it, but the DISH 110/119/129 is just up on the roof on it's own.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I live in FL. Lots of high winds/thunderstorms all the way up to hurricanes. Since 2000, we've only had one realignment and that wasn't the purpose of the visit: we received a new box and the installers made a routine realignment (I think our lowest signal was 89; most were 92-95).

Depending on the strength of the storm, we will lose our signal for several minutes. But I doubt the total time during the last year exceeded 30 minutes. Our neighbors lost their cable signal (reason still unknown), and it was several days before it was repaired.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    you could reduce outage of sat signal to minimum if you will install 10m [30'] dish with custom LNBF holder and three separate Ku/Ka LNBFs
    perhaps you could try easy way - first time approach and really available to buy from Internet - with 3m [10'] antennae, to see how long the outage will lasts
    I've seen nice 3...4.5M "spoon" Ka dishes in south European countries.... they're hold pretty well during local storms

8. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Is there a smiley missing?

An absurd suggestion. Have you been drinking?

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    perhaps 10M would be hard to obtain and install, but I've used 10' and found that's your post is absurd without merit

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    One of the advantages to current DSS tech is not needing to use a dish the size of what was used in the old C Band days....I have to agree with Laxguy, making a suggestion like that today is rather absurd.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    1m for international channels, 1.2m for Alaska, 2m for Hawaii ... are not absurd; so 3m is doable for sure (I did that)
    I would love to have 10m dish, but ... money is the issue, if you remember such thing included in estate's sale nearby a couple years ago

BTW, the "advantage" of small dish is really close to absurdness if you will look at the topic's meaning

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A 10m dish at an estate sale? Did a TV station die?

As stated in the earlier posts ... a properly aimed standard dish should be good enough for most people - certainly not as troublesome as the stories heard by the thread starter. Professionally installed ... or at least installed at a professional level.

The larger dishes for some areas (AK/HI) are a standard in themselves. Not really needed in most of the US.

1 person likes this.
  13. grunes

grunes New Member

Nov 13, 2013
    College...
    I guess one obvious question is - what band do DishTV and DirectTV require, and can most 3 m dishes work with them? Maybe the extra gain would be high enough to work well in an attic... Though I would start to wonder whether that big a dish wouldn't start to attract lightning through the attic. After all, I think it would effectively be grounded through the sat receiver, and that's a pretty big piece of grounded metal.

If used outdoors, I would think that a 3 meter dish would be more directional, and therefore more sensitive than the typical mini-dish to wind storms, as well as having a greater cross section to wind. No?

In any event, it sounds like wind is usually not a problem for most of you. The friend had a mast-mounted system - but her husband does his own re-alignments, so maybe something isn't mounted as tight as it should be.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    the bands are Ku [12GHz] and Ka [18/20 GHz]
    any size will work for them - bigger is better, less outage during heavy clouds, storms
    no attic install !
    grounding is better do at a pole (a tube of appropriate diameter)
    sensitive ? not if it's properly mounted

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
  16. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Again, unless you're a die-hard DIYer with knowledge of satellite waves and how best to pull them in, you'll be better off with a standard install. And then there are aesthetics. And a large base of similar installs.

Above all, don't let your friend peak your dish!! :)

17. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    no matter how big the dish is , is not going to work inside an attic.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    well, there is a chance to get it works in attic: if you'll have big glass part of a roof, like 30"x30" size and the glass should not have a lead in it

19. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Oh, great fix!! I recommend gorilla glass, installed at a cost of $380,000.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    so, finally you got the game right !
    isn't time to shell out $3M for that estate with 30M dish ?!